Jacketed Rifled Slugs

I don't see a purpose. The slug is already protected by a cup and there is no rifling in the barrel so leading isn't an issue (primary purpose of a jacket).

I don't see a purpose. The slug is already protected by a cup and there is no rifling in the barrel so leading isn't an issue (primary purpose of a jacket).
I'm unaware of these cupped slugs.
slugs can be shot out of smooth or rifled barrels.
We have both here in the house Smooth bore and rifled barrels.
I've seen leading in barrels before.
There are many jacketed sabots which only work out of rifled barrels.

The original poster was asking about rifled slugs which are shot out of smooth bores. No leading there.

Rifled slugs are designed to be able to be fired through even a full choke, although IC is typically most accurate. The slug must be able to be squeezed down, a trait which jacketing the slug would interfere with. I have recovered fired rifled slugs and the degree to which they must deform to fit through tight chokes is evident.

The deviation from design purpose aside, how would you even jacket a slug with rifling on it? It's not smooth.

The only reason I can think of for such a thing would be compliance with some law or rule. AFAIK, rifled slugs have never been used in combat, so the Hague convention rules would not apply, but maybe CA has passed some law or other.

Jim

Back