jacket in barrel

nujent

Inactive
Hello Every One, I wouldn't normally admit this but…. Had a squib load in my 9mm Ruger P89. Took quite a bit to get the bullet out. Funny thing is the jacket stayed in the barrel. The lead core came out but the copper jacket is still in the barrel. How do I get it out?????????? I have never seen a core and jacket separate like that. Help…..:eek::confused:

Have you tried an oversized patch on a cleaning rod? How about a brush?

If they didnt work, Id probably try a smaller than barrel diameter wood dowel.

DO NOT USE A WOOD DOWEL!!!!! The dowel will splinter and you will have it stuck in the barrel to add to your problems.

Find/make a piece of steel as close as possible to the bore diameter (.346"), preferably a slip fit. Drive it through the bore with a smaller steel rod.

Jim

Before anything, I'd put some highly penetrating oil in the barrel -- maybe even CLP. Be sure it gets between the jacket and the barrel. I confess I have had squib loads, but only in revolvers, never in my P89. The bullets would not move at all before I used the CLP, but very easy after. Some SP bullets are made with the lead enclosed in a kind of tube -- lead open at both ends. (Some reloading manuals have warnings about this kind of bullet.) Sounds like this is what you had. I would never shoot or reload with such bullets.

willr

A jacket is not nearly as hard to remove as a stuck bullet, but using the wrong tools can make things a lot worse.

Jim

When I said wood dowel, I wasnt referring to something large enough to get stuck in the barrel. Just something smaller than the bore diameter, and by a good bit, that could easily slip into it, and catch the edge of the jacket, and see if it could be dislodged. The edge of the cleaning rod may do just as well. If that didnt work, then something brass or aluminium. I wouldnt use steel, except as a last resort.

As you said, a jacket is something different than a complete bullet.

Thank you all for the input! I know better than to use steel. I don't want to scratch the barrel. I'm looking for a piece of brass or bronze to use. The bullet was a Montana Gold 125gr jacketed hollow point. If I could get between the jacket and the barrel with a piece of brass/bronze and collapse the jacket it would come out but can't find the right material. I will lube it. Thanx. If I had drill press I could drill it out. Brushes and such didn't work.

Interesting !!

Check me if I'm not seeing this right. ... :)
Basically, you have a cylinder shaped piece, in the barrel and you can see daylight through whatever is left. If so, any support, on the walls, is basically gone. This should allow for some give and should push out, fairly easily. I have never encountered a jacket but did have a stuck potion of a case. ... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Yes. The copper jacket is in the barrel still. The core separated from the jacket and the jacket is still lodged in the barrel about an inch above the chamber. Iv'e never had one do this. Iv'e knocked out plenty of bullets of all types and have never seen this. Weird.

I have seen it once. The guy saw the core hit the target and did not stop to look, fired another shot and bulged his barrel.

But I really wonder when somebody has "knocked out plenty of bullets of all types". Just what is the problem there? I have knocked out two in 40 years and one of those was a duff factory load.

I had a Squibb in a 45 auto once. I slipped a 9mm spent casing over a correctly sized (whittled down) wooden dowel and it knocked it right out. Something along these lines may work for you but I do not know what size casing would work in a 9mm. Just food for thought.

A piece of 5/16" rod should work, diam would be right at .3125". You may be able to find aluminum or brass at a well stocked hardware store. Even a long 5/16" bolt or cap screw, if you don't want to use the threaded end cut the head off and insert that end.

With lots of lubricant or even grease and care taked in tapping the jacket out I would use steel if that was all I could find.

There's all kinds of steel.
If the tool being used is softer than the barrel, and without sharp edges that would gouge, it shouldn't harm anything.
Low grade (no line) bolts are very useful for making safe to use rods.

Whatever you use to push the bullet out with, it better be a lot softer than the barrel. Solid brass or aluminum rods with a very square end to go against the bullet and just under bore diameter are best.

I knew one guy who used an empty .380 Auto case pressed on a wood dowel to push lead bullets out of his M1911's barrels on those rare occasions when a powderless round was fired. He used reloaded ammo his club made that sometimes had a bad round made with their Star reloading machine.

=========

Oops; I now see after posting this that others' made the same type of comments. Hooray for them beating me to the punch.

Regarding the use of bolts, sleeving one all the way to its tip with a plastic tube (or large drinking straw, wrapping tape around it) will keep it off the rifling.

But I really wonder when somebody has "knocked out plenty of bullets of all types". Just what is the problem there?

I've knocked out quite a few bullets
None of them were in MY guns

Work a few years in a gun shop that also does repairs and I bet you can knock out more than the average shooter too

Push a patch into the barrel right up to the stuck jacket. Pour in some Cerrosafe. Wait until it cools (a minute or so), then drive the whole mess out with a brass rod. Done!

Back