J Stevens 5100

texbow

Inactive
My wife recently inherited a J Stevens 5100 side by side 12ga. Normal wear. I believe it was made in the late 30's or early 40's. Seems to lock up tight. Is this
safe to shoot with light field loads(lead only)?

i have owned several of the stevens and savage 311,s and they were safe if in good condition with regular field shells. eastbank.

Seems to lock up tight - it either does or it doesn't. It SHOULD say somewhere on the barrels what size shell - typically 2-3/4". Look for any cracks, etc. that might indicate a weak area or a need for repair. You can buy low pressure loads from RST if you are worried. I would probably start with light target loads. It might need a good cleaning and some lubrication first, though.

Workingmans double

As long as it looks up tight and has fluid steel barrels it should be fine with any load that it is chambered for.
If in doubt bring it to a smith for an inspection.

I call this gun the workingmans double. Cheap to buy, handles like a pig on a shovel. If I were to guess the used double shotgun most often encountered, the Stevens doubles would be my candidate.

Tex, the most likely problem that you will see in this old gun will be in the wood. The weak point is in the tang area. Those stocks weren't made with the highest quality wood to begin with and decades of drying out can leave it brittle. Keep close eye on the tang/grip area for cracks/splits and if you see one, get it pinned and glued before it spreads.

I have one that someone had cut down for CAS and had it refinished. They did a real nice job on it.
For me it made a great little brush gun and it does very well, I really like it! ;)

Back