J.P.Sauer und Sohn, Suhl double barrel 24 ga

South

Inactive
In the 70´s my grandfather gave me his shotgun, a J.P.Sauer und Sohn, Suhl. Since then the gun was stored. Recently I found it.

It is a double barrel 24 gauge. There are a lot of signs and the writing on it: J. P. Sauer und Sohn, Suhl. Under the double barrel there are flat signs: men, crowns, a man on the rib, beyond other symbols and numbers. There is a 7/28, U letter, etc.. Please see pictures.

It is in good condition. I would like to know about it and find if it rare, collectible and the like. If anyone can help me to add some info about it I would be grateful. I have searched on the web for one like this but was not able to find. I found the one from texson in this forum.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Attachments

• JPS&S24ga-043.jpg
    JPS&S24ga-043.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 50
  • JPS&S24ga-029.jpg
    JPS&S24ga-029.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 44
  • JPS&S24ga-006.jpg
    JPS&S24ga-006.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 44

Welcome to TFL ! !

IMO, you have what's referred to in the trade as a "scalloped boxlock / Prussian" J.P.Sauer & Sohn Royal, coin-finished double, apparently made sometime in July, 1928.

While very well made, the gun itself is not particularly rare or a valuable (in 24ga) collector's item (compared to other Sauer's).

Due to the out-dated chambering, it would usually only appeal to a very small buying market - those few folks who are interested in owning/shooting obscure chamberings.

There is a highly-embellished 24ga Sauer with gold inlays for sale online @ a very high price - but it hasn't sold at that price either.

It would likely be more valuable if it were chambered in 12, 16, 20, or 28 gauge - IOW, for commonly-available ammo.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the help

Thanks a lot for dating the "scalloped boxlock / Prussian" PetahW. There is a lot of material for research on the signs on the German website indicated by Jim Watson, thanks a lot.

I had a US$800 offer for the gun, but since I didn´t had an idea of the rarity/price at the time I decline it. Is this a fair price considering that the gun is not rare, with an out-dated chambering and in working condition? Thanks a lot for any help.

Back