J. P. Sauer & Sohn Shotgun info needed!

barr44

Inactive
I just recently acquired a J. P. Sauer and Sohn 20 ga. double sxs shotgun. I would like to find out more about the gun. Primarily I would like to know the model number, the date of manufacture, and any other pertinent info someone would care to provide. I was told by the individual that I got the gun from was that he thought it was probably 1957 vintage.
I will attach image files that show what info I could find on the gun.
I'm not sure how many files you can attach to a post, so I am submitting the files in the reply posts.
Thanks, barr

Attachments

• Barrel Lower.jpg
    Barrel Lower.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
J.P. Sauer & Sohn images

This is the inscription on the side of the barrels.

Attachments

• Barrels rt. 1.jpg
    Barrels rt. 1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 66
J.P. Sauer & Sohn images

This is the side of the receiver.

Attachments

• Receiver rt. 1.jpg
    Receiver rt. 1.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 72
J.P. Sauer & Sohn images

This is a top view of the receiver.

Attachments

• Receiver Top 1.jpg
    Receiver Top 1.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 54
J.P. Sauer & Sohn images

This is the bottom of the receiver.

Attachments

• Receiver lwr 1.jpg
    Receiver lwr 1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 56

It looks like a Model 60 to me - there's most likely a date code stamped into the barrel bottom(s).

The date code should look like these:

1963 - GD
1964 - GE
1965 - GF
1966 - GG
1967 - GH
1968 - GI
1969 - GK
1970 - HA
1971 - HB
1972 - HC
1973 - HD
1974 - HE
1975 - HF
1976 - HG
1977 - HH
1978 - HI
1979 - HK
1980 - IA
1981 - IB
1982 - IC
1983 - ID
1984 - IE
1985 - IF
1986 - IG
1987 - IH
1988 - II
1989 - IK
1990 - J2

Last edited:
Info on J.P. Sauer Shotgun

PetahW,

Thanks for the reply. I checked and it looks like DE is on the bottom of the barrels. Would one just start working backwards from the list that you sent to figure out the date indicated by DE?
I appreciate the info, I'm not well versed in the German shotguns.
Thanks, barr

Thanks PetahW,

I'm not sure how you arrived at 1954. If they are using 10 digits(A,B,C, etc.) to cover 10 years for this method of marking, and G indicates the 60s, and F indicates the F indicates the 50s, then it looks like DE would be back in the 30s unless they skip numbers in their listing or unless they didn't start with an A block or something.
Anyway, I appreciate your help, and realize that some numbering systems are not always cut and dried and follow normal realms of thought.
Thanks again, barr

I had the same thoughts as you about the D indicating a 3 and expecting to see an F, but there was no W. Germany before WW2 and the barrels are clearly marked D.E and 34 makes no sense.

bar44 said:
Thanks - I'm not sure how you arrived at 1954.

An educated guess....... if you look at the chart I posted above, you will see that only years ending in a "4" have an "E" as the 2nd letter in the year/date codes.

Since the 1964, 1974 & 1984 date codes have an "E", ergo, it seems likely that 1954 would also have.

PetahW

PetahW,
Thanks again, now I think I see the light. I wan't looking at the fact that the gun had to be after 45, since there was still a war going on. Perhaps for whatever reason they just picked up with the D in the fifties. Maybe they actually started the numbering system back in the thirties and just picked it up again after the war. At any rate it is confusing.
I'm still looking for A, B, and C. Maybe they will turn up somewhere:)
Thanks again to all you folks, barr

Back