J P Sauer Side By Side...looking for info

jlcinga1

Inactive
I have found out about most of the symbols on this gun, but could use some help on others.

I have learned:
12/70 is 12 gauge and 2 3/4 shells
the ss symbol with the u means Sauer in Suhl
The eagle with the N means W. German and definitive nitro proof
The leaf is Kiel Proofhouse mark

I would like to know if I am correct on the above and what the v looking marks mean. Also what the 3 54 marks indicate.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_2547 (451x800).jpg
    IMG_2547 (451x800).jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
The "3 54" should mean March of 1954, meaning that this gun was proofed in West Germany at the Eckernforde proof house before it became part of the Kiel proof house. The "S u S" stands for "Sauer und Sohn" (Sauer & Son). No idea on the "V"s on the lug, but they're likely the inspector's initials.

Thanks again SDC,
I don't really need to know the chokes as I do not plan to shoot the gun very much, if at all. I just got caught up in trying to decipher all the markings on the gun and was hoping to find marks indicating chokes.

I also have not been able to find a list of serial numbers that will tell all the information about a particular Sauer. Most gun makers have such lists and you can find out a lot about a gun just with the serial number.

I just found all the markings interesting and was trying to learn about them.

+1 - Many Euro shotguns have the choke constriction (expressed as mm's, not words or symbols) stamped into each barrel bottom, between the bbl flats & the forend hanger/latch stud.

Looked everywhere...nothing that would indicate chokes.

Anywhere on the web to look for serial number info?

Anyone have a phone number for Sauer?

Amazing that the serial number is on this gun at least 14 times.

Like old S&W guns, parts were matched to each other due to the critical hand fitting. That way they could ensure the final assembly was done using the matched parts.

SOMEWHERE there needs to be choke designations, they should be on the barrels or at the very least the water table

If you've got a pair of calipers, you can measure the inside of the barrels and figure out the chokes that way

Only if you know the bore size of the barrels

I find it impossible, that the choke designation stampings are missing.

In Europe, and Germany in particular, ALL guns must carry the choke designations stamped into each barrel, under the Proof Laws, in order for each individual gun to be approved, stamped & released for sale.

Last edited:
This is the only marking on the barrels:
9ubehe2u.jpg

What about the water table? (The flat area of the action that the underneath side of the barrels sit on?

As mentioned, Proof laws should have dictated markings somewhere

Back