J Frame Trigger Job

sox

Gang can you give me your opinions on trigger jobs. The pull on my Titanium was flat horrible stock. I installed a set of wolff springs, replacing both hammer spring and rebound units. This made a big improvement. But, do smith done trigger jobs feel that much better? I haven't shot any with a trigger job. What do they actually do and what should it cost?

Different smiths have different techniques and tricks, but generally all the internal contact surfaces are polished like the rebound bar and frame area as well as polishing all the pivot points. I like my S&W's timed a certain way, so the cylinder locks up early, some people prefer the standard timing, some want the SA capability removed, some want the action to cycle faster. Cost varies based on what you want done and who does it. I have seen 'action jobs' for $40 and I have seen them for $150.

Jeff pretty well covered it.

I will add.......after you have a few thousand rounds through it, both you and the trigger will be a lot better.

Sam

Scott at http://www.sdmfabricating.com did one for me and it was a significant improvement over factory. He explained that it was mainly about polishing the internals and that because of the lack of mass, it was not a good idea to alter the parts. I have seen several "trigger jobs" that had lightened springs and they felt good but had light strikes and so I'd caution to make sure reliability is maintained.

Best trigger job on a J frame is the one I did myself. I bought a pack on snap caps. Every night for a week or so I would cycle the gun a couple of hundred times a night. This will also strengthen your trigger finger and gun hand. That baby now has one sweet trigger. Give it a try, you've got nothing to loose other than a few bucks for some snap caps.

If you know your way around the inside of a J frame, get a Bullseye Spring Kit. The difference that it will make is amazing, even better with a little judicious polishing of crucial surfaces.

7th

dryfiring (sans snap caps) has helped me with all 3 of my j-frames. helps the trigger, strengthens the finger, and can use it as ammo-less practice.

Back