J Frame Trigger Job

Sierra

I have a S&W 442 and really am impressed with its ability to carry concealed. I think it offers more security than any mouse gun, however, in firing this pistol, the trigger is more than I like, its long. Would a trigger job help... how much? or should I just train more with what I have?

You are not going to be able to shorten the amount of trigger travel in double action. The trigger pull can be smoothed out and lightened a bit. Good gunsmith can make it seem a lot better.

Get or borrow Jerry kunhausen's book on Smiths. A very good read and informative.

Your gun should be very accurate and dependable. The little fellers require more practice to become proficient with them. Shoot a lot but make each shot count. Each one. With proficiency will come speed. A lot of dry firing helps too. Again, make each shot count. Hold the sight picture untill the hammer has fallen. Every time.

Sam

You could go to a set a grips that covered the backstrap. This would diminish some of your revolvers concealibility but would help with trigger control.I have boot grips on my model 60 and it hides well but the trigger reach it not exactly great for exact double action shooting with my old mitts. Take care.

Sierra, excuse my post. I realized that your problem is quite different from mine. You could use the standard service type grips in conjunction with a Tyler T grip adapter. As was pointed out practice is most important to get the most out of your J- frame. Use target type ammo with its lighter recoil so you can concentrate on sharpening your triggernometry. Take care.

Back