J Frame sights

Ryan Meyering

I have a .38 J frame and the sights really don't do it for me; it's too hard to pick up the silver front sight with that narrow rear notch. I'd like to get night sights installed on front and rear if possible; does anyone know of a pistolsmith that offers such a service? Is this even possible with this revolver?

Thanks...

Ryan

------------------
Romans 6:23

Forget the night sights. I tried a crimson trace laser on a 642. Result was a super-shooting little revolver. I shoot it for speed at 3, 5, 7, and 10 yds and get one ragged hole. The only problem is getting used to looking at the target instead of the fron sight.

Ryan,
I've got a S&W 640 .38 that has a bar-dot set up from Innovative Weaponry out of AZ. They made a front sight and dove-tailed it into the barrel, then machined a small notch behind the rear groove and installed a bar. It's very clean and the total cost was around $125. Of course, if yours isn't stainless, there will be more $$$ for refinishing. Mine shoots right to point of aim, and the dove-tailed front gives you some adjustment.

Smith and Wesson's performance center should be able to offer some options to you. Call 1-800-331-0852 ext 2904 for pricing.

P-T nightsights from Innovative Weaponry are the way to go. They moved to Ft Worth, Tx years ago when Barry Mowry sold the company. I worked with the new owner, Dave Gregor, to develop a better system for the front sight. They can now mill off the front sight completely and dovetail in a new black blade with the tritium dot in it. This is a big advantage on a stainless steel gun. The top strap is then bead blasted for a non-reflective finish. The dot aligns properly with the bar in the rear, which did not always happen with the original method. The front sight can be done on any J-frame, but the rear cannot be done on alloy guns.

Here is the link for contact info: http://www.ptnightsights.com/

Sights, I don't need no stinkin sights!

Anyway, what I did on my 442 and 642 and
317 was to paint the front blade with some
bright yellow model paint. Works for me.

I can shoot pretty tight groups out to
7 yards. At 15 yards, still in COM.

Jeff, what's the price on the night sight
job. I talked to SW and if you had a new
snubbie with a pinned sight, they would
put in a front night sight for about $50
but with a integral sight that had to
be ground off it was $140 which was getting
a bit much.

Glenn, the sight work is a piece by piece deal. Milling off the ramp is one price. Cutting the front dovetail has a price. Cutting the rear notch has a price. The front nightsight blade has a price. They did this so they could easily price out an alloy gun or a steel gun. If I remember correctly the ramp was $15, dovetail front $35, rear sight cut $35, $45 tritium front, $40 tritium rear. This would be on an all steel gun. I do not remember the exact prices because I was having mulitple guns done by them for clients as we were developing the procedure.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm going with Innovative Weaponry; that was exactly what I was looking for!!

Thanks again,

Ryan

------------------
Romans 6:23

Back