J frame grips

David Blinder

Any suggestions for grips for a S & W 642? The factory rubber grips are too small and I prefer wooden ones that don't snag on clothes anyway?

I've got the Hogue smooth combat grip with finger grooves on my S&W model 60. Mine is Pau Ferro wood which resembles Walnut - look great, feel great.

Mikey

Another choice could be the Tyler T-Grip adapters, together with the original, wooden W&S J frame grips (the small ones). They're specially good at concealing (pocket, ankle etc), while at the same time being pretty confortable.

I've installed those on a Taurus 85, and I'm happy with them.

Regards,

Leo Daher

I recomend Craig Spegal I don't have his address or simply adding the Tyler T grip to the small grips that come with the gun. The T grip fits in front of the S&W grips filling up the space just enought to give a good grasp, but does not impede concealment

Try Craig Spegel at:
503/368-5653
P.O. Box 387
Nehalem, OR 97131

Just spoke to him yesterday to order grips for my L-frame. Very nice guy, spends time with you on the phone to make sure you get what you want. He has a catalog, but prefers to talk to customers directly. His grips will be around $60-$65 for the regular grades of wood, $80 or so for best grades. Right now his order time is four months. I ordered his boot grip with half-inch extension (this is not for concealed carry) in best cocobolo: $80. Not cheap or quick, but many swear by his work.

You mentioned "Factory rubber grips", aren't these the Butler Creek copy of the Craig Spegal design? If these are too small, try a set of Pacmyaer Compacts. Very good grips, but maybe a tad big on a J-frame. Otherwise, try the small factory grips with the T-grip adapter.

The factory rubber grip that are advertised as Craig Spegel designed boot grips are a generic J-frame grip--the real article is designed for the hammerless Smith (your 643). There is a big difference.

Back