Izhmash Biathlon 7-4

madmax700

Inactive
Anyone have any experience with these rifles? I used to compete on a Biathlon team with this rifle, but have recently begun bringing it to the range with me. Turns out it makes one hell of a little bench .22! My question is what would I have to do in order to attach a scope to this rifle? I'd really like to do this in the near future but I can't seem to find much info on this rifle at all, let alone how to modify it.
Here it is now with all of the straps removed:
Dja7N5I.jpg

lKMvrNo.jpg

rPub2CQ.jpg

Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures.

And here is a photo (NOT MINE) of what I would like to end up doing, although I would ideally like to either remove the front sight or modify it so I can keep the barrel weights (the weights are adjustable, they are attached to the front sight and sit along the bottom side of the barrel)
IqdHiTS.jpg

Thoughts? Does anyone know where one can buy aftermarket parts for these rifles? I'd ask my old Biathlon coach but I'm afraid he'd laugh at the idea of using this rifle for anything other than a race gun.

Thanks!

How 'bout this instead?

I shot another competitor's at a biathlon event once. nice rifles, and very accurate. Your project sounds doable.
That said, I've got another suggestion:
I just saw an Izmash 7-4 go for $2000 on Gunbroker. why dont you put yours up for sale, make 2k, then buy a Savage Mark 2 with accutrigger, like this that is scope ready:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465865204

That way, you're not trying to force the Izmash to do something it wasn't meant to, mount a scope, but you get a totally sweet accurate rifle and you make a bit of coin to boot.

feel free to ignore.

I have thought of that, but this isn't a rifle I have any intention of parting with. However, I do get what you're saying about forcing the rifle to play a role it wasn't designed to do necessarily. I shoot the rifle extremely well as is without the scope (I was shooting 1-2" groups at 100 yards in a snow storm today, I think the rifle likes the snow :p ) but I was just curious as to what others thought about the ideas I had.

Now you've got me looking at Savage Mark 2's, what have you started?! :eek:

Thanks guys!

I've always heard Izmash rifles shoot better in the cold...
Probably an urban biathlon myth.

madmax700
Now you've got me looking at Savage Mark 2's, what have you started?!
Oops, sorry about that.... :D

Have fun, either way.

Yeah, I wouldn't part with that. What a nice rifle. You'd show up every center fire target benchrest shooters at my range.:D

Back