Izhevsk 1905r Mosin Nagant

Old 454

Greetings

I just purchased a Mosan Nagant date of manufactor 1905r by the Izhevsk factory.

This is my first Mosin Nagant and I was wondering whay the the crest was "scrubbed" off of the barrel.

Was this some kinda political thing by the commies ?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Being a 1905, it would have had the Czar's imperial crest on it. Most of those crests got scrubbed off or struck out after the Bolsheviks took over in 1918. Yes, it was entirely political.

Pics?

mosin

here are a few more hopefully bettor then those last ones:D tryed to get a pic of all the markings under the barrel, damn thing has more markings then carter has little pills!

Last edited:
Yes I ahve been digging around on that site for a bit....only thing I can come to is that due to it being a 1905 that its for sure a dragoon,by what I have read any dates that are pre 1927 are Dragoons and it measures 481/2" from butt to barrel tip, and I think it has the black powder markings on it.Yes and I belive its a solid wood stock not a lamanate stock.

Sorry for the bad pics, camera is crappy tryed for a few angles and just didn't come out well.

Thank you for the info, you are most kind!

Nice find, Old 454. There is a large cult following finding fascination in this legendary rifle. I have a few myself. They're elegant, and enjoyable in every way. Welcome to the brotherhood of Mosin-Nagant owners.

Here are a few belly laughs to help you appreciate the uniqueness and nobility of your new acquisition:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

Yes I am happy with the purchase and was suprised to find such an old one sitting in a gun rack on my local gun shops floor. not only did they scrub the crest off but they also scrubed something off of the top of the hex no idea what that would be.

I am going to continue looking for MN rifles and hope to find a nice Finniish one with the SA markings.

Welcome to the club. I have 8 or so myself. Keep your eyes peeled for Remingtons and N.E.W those are by far my favorite.

May not be an Ish. I think its a TULA

I’m new here but I am a Mosin lover and have done tons of research. I’m just suggesting that the markings you see on your gun have arrows in them. The arrow was usually a TULA marking to the best of my knowledge. Check it out you may have a 1905 TULA and if you do that cool you’re one lucky dog.

P.S, - I just got a 1905 Ish. at DUNHAMS SPORTS. If anyone lives near a DUNHAMS go there and check out their gun section. They have a sale in my area MN 91/30's are $80.00. You get all the stuff that comes with and you get a trigger lock for free. DUNHAMS requires the lock stay on until the gun exits the store as a company policy pretty cool. Sale is on for this weekend only but they often honor weekend sale prices on Fridays and Mondays so if you got extra jack its a good time to buy one.

Hey - Im wrong, found some info that supports it being an Izhevsk. Guess im not so well researched.

Last edited:
I have a Finnish Mosin, Very old and used looking, It has a dimple on top of the reciever, and I was told that it was a Russian Crest that had been ground off, the reciever and that the reciever had to be made prior to 1917. The Barrel date on it shows a 1944 Barrel Date, and it has a War Time Stock, I presume Sako transformed this 91 30 in 1944. we all know, every Fin M39 started life as a Russian 91 30.

Actually, most M39's started life as M91's not M91/30's. I have even seen M39's with the original markings on the barrel's (Remington, Tula, and so on - these are very rare). Most of the Soviet M91's I own have the double eagle scrubbed off. The few that still have the eagle are all Finnish captures. These rifles are fun to collect as there are so many variations.

Back