IWI Jericho 941 .45 MISFEEDING!!!

ddutton

Inactive
Help... I’ve had zero issues in previous range sessions. Then today...like 5-7 misfeeds (bolt over base). Did my magazines go bad because I stored them loaded? (The internet tells me that theory is garbage)...are the magazines garbage to begin with? Did I over-oil the gun after the last cleaning? WTH? I must fix this ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you change the ammo you are shooting? Reloads or factory ammo? Taken the magazine apart and cleaned it? I doubt it's an over oiled problem but I guess it could be a magazine issue. Maybe the mag spring got a little weak.

Did you change the ammo you are shooting? Reloads or factory ammo? Taken the magazine apart and cleaned it? I doubt it's an over oiled problem but I guess it could be a magazine issue. Maybe the mag spring got a little weak.
Yes I did change ammo since last time but just doesn’t seem like that should have been an issue, but I was firing Winchester 230 grain when it was misfeeding. I also thought it could have been the magazine. I took both of them apart and couldn’t find anything outstandingly wrong with them. They were both clean and springs seemed fine to the novice naked eye.

Would I be off base in saying that if if was Winchester White Box ammo that it could very well be your problem. I'd try a brand of ammo that worked in your gun previously.

Would I be off base in saying that if if was Winchester White Box ammo that it could very well be your problem. I'd try a brand of ammo that worked in your gun previously.
Not off base at all. I think you’re right, and I definitely HOPE you’re right.

Last edited:
A "bolt over base" or "hit the shell in the middle" is not an unknown thing, it is the result of the magazine spring not getting the round "back up" at the proper time. Recoil (and inertia) drive the rounds down in the magazine, and if the spring (for whatever reason) doesn't push them back up, fast enough you get bolt override.

The internet, and engineers, will tell you that springs don't wear out from being compressed, they wear from the cycles of compression and relaxation, and that properly made springs won't "take a set".

However, the only way to know if your spring wasn't properly made is when it does take a set or get weaker.

If you switched ammo, and the new stuff has more recoil than the system is set up to handle, you could get bolt override. If the mag spring has weakened, same result. If there's crud in the mag retarding movement of the follower, same result. If oil has turned to sludge, same result.

Did it happen with ALL your mags?

Order some new springs. If they cure the problem, fine. IF not, they're still good to have around, someday you'll want them.

Make sure everything is clean like it should be, and test things with different ammo.

Good luck!

First,I've never held a Jericho handgun,let alone fired one.I believe they are a clone of something,made in Israel. I don't even know what they are a clone of.

So my credibility is not great.

In the grand scheme of things,the timing of the magazine spring lifting the column of ammo up quickly enough to position the case head in front of the breech to be picked up is very likely.

If the troublesome ammo is simply loaded to a lower intensity,the slide may begin the trip forward a little sooner.It might be good ammo,but its just mild.

It might shoot fine with the next step lighter recoil spring.There is a choreography going on.

I have no idea what level of shooter you are. Forgive me for sterring you toward the basics.

You might try going on youtube and looking for a video by Jerry Miculek on shooting a handgun fast and accurate.

In the video,he stresses the importance of a proper grip,that minimizes the effect of recoil on the pistol. The proper grip helps keep te gun pointed at the target.

A gentler,less controlled grip allows the recoil energy to be soaked up in moving the gun around. Its a recoil operated pistol,and a proper grip will help direct the recoil energy nto operating the gun.

I suggest reviwing the grip technique of Miculek,or Rob Letham,orany of the other top combat shooters.
See if it helps

Last edited:
I have a Jericho 941 in 9mm. It came to me a bit crusty, having supposedly been used by police in Israel and imported. The hard chrome is peeled and rusted through under the grips, and it had some authentic Israeli lawman sweat caked in it.

About mag springs not being at fault - if this was a used gun, it may be time for a change in mag springs. If it's a Promag, those notoriously aren't great mags. My Jericho, which is a clone of the Tanfoglio (which is closely related but not identical to the CZ75) works with MecGar CZ-75b mags.

Consider ordering a CZ-97 (45 ACP) mag spring or complete magazine CZ-97 if you are still convinced it's a mag problem. But of course, google if they really are compatible.

It would be strange for malfunctions to happen in multiple mag at the same time. In that case I would think less magazine problem and either technique, ammo, or firearm problem.

First thing I would do is take the magazines apart to make sure they are clean and you should be able to tell if the springs have taken a set when you reassemble the mags. Any doubts? Change the springs. I have two 9mm Jericho guns, one almost new and another one which is an Israeli surplus gun that has seen better days, and the ugly gun had a lot of initial hangups until I took the mag apart and cleaned the gunk out of it. I don't know what was inside it, but it was plenty nasty. Smelled like bad beef jerky! Once I cleaned up the mag, it worked 100% afterwards, but still is pretty ugly:
1CCY2J.jpg

Back