IWB/OWB for GP100 4" Half-Lug?

Model12Win

Hello all! Well I got me one of these:

sp101b.jpg

Not my exact gun, but I lucked onto a Ruger GP100 .357 magnum with a 4" half-lug barrel with fixed sights and the compact wood insert grips. Long story short, I want to carry this gun. Now the thing is, I'm 5' 7" tall and weigh 180 lbs. I'm not a huge guy, so I know realistic daily carry of this big gun is probably a bit impractical. However, while I probably won't get away with carrying it as my EDC, I'd love to still have a CCW holster for it but just for carrying around the property and in my home. It won't have to be perfectly concealed, as Kansas is an open carry state and there are no local ordinances prohibiting open carry where I live... but I would prefer to still have the gun concealed. Since it's cold out I will be wearing the gun under either a flannel shirt or a coat.

So I've been looking at my options, and I'm not sure if I want an IWB holster or an OWB holster for the gun. I have been looking at the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake, and it comes with removable straps that allow for IWB carry as well as conventional belt loops for OWB carry of the gun.

I am not much of a holster guy, so I am really not sure what the heck I'm getting myself into. Basically, I need some way to comfortable conceal this big gun and don't want to spend over $120 on the holster if at all possible. This will be for cold weather only, with a coat or long sleeved button up shirt to hide the gun for the most part.

So what do you folks recommend for me? :confused:

I’ve found that OWB with a holster like the Simply Rugged and the right cover garment is pretty easy. This will be much more comfortable than IWB and most folks will never know you’re carrying. I do have the Simply Rugged holster you described for a S&W Model 66 with 2.5” barrel and it works very well OWB. I personally found the IWB straps not quite as effective, but since OWB works so well for me I never really tried IWB too much.

I would suggest that OWB would be a better option with that gun. With OWB and a covering garment (shirt, jacket, sweat shirt) CC should be pretty simple.

Bianchi and like Barry suggested above, Simply Rugged, both make good holster options.

I will also point out that with a gun that heavy that you will need a dedicated gun belt. A good gun belt supports both the gun and the holster and is vital.

thebeltman.net makes great belts but there are other cheaper options available although they might not hold up as well or as long as a Beltman belt.

Last edited:
Back