IWB-OWB compromise

t45

I've been using different iwb holsters for years with limited results probably due to my body size. 6-3" 260lbs. I have since started wearing my self made kydex iwb inside my belt but outside the pants. With a good gun belt, it pulls the holstered gun nice and tight to the body and it allows me to still wear fitting jeans (not oversize). I realize it's not as concealed as wearing it IWB but for me, its a good option in colder weather when I'm wearing an overshirt or jacket. Just wondering how many of you have done this and what are your thoughts?

I do this with a factory molded SIG holster for my P938. The belt clip/loop is on the outside with the belt thru it, the holster against the pants. It's actually a LH holster being used on the right. Works crossdraw, too.

The point is the belt over the holster holds it closer to the body, and you can wear your normal pants without oversizing them. Concealment is just a matter of a few inches and an overgarment is required anyway- much the same if it was IWB with no shirt tuck.

The biggest advantage is that if a lighter belt than professional grade gun duty is used, the holster doesn't flop or shift around.

Works for me. I'm not using it in 3Gun, don't engage terrorists, just wander the aisles shopping or drive about town. Typical CCW stuff.

t45,

There are a lot of factors to consider. Comfort is important. If you're not comfortable, you'd probably become less likely to carry. If you need your gun, you'll probably need it in a huge hurry. Hence, ease to battery is crucial. Therefore, you're probably not going to want lots of clothes impeding your getting your gun to battery.

I've tried it a lot of ways. For me, a very good quality belt holding an Askins-type holster close to my side works best.

IWB holsters seem to be all the rage these days. I'm sure that IWB is the best way for some folks.

There were times when I'd stuff a gun inside my waistband without a holster. But were I to carry all day, it'd be in an Askins-type holster secured by a quarter-inch thick leather belt that's at least an inch-and-a-half wide. Then I'd wear a loose fitting shirt over it. My gun would be readily available and not impeded.

It might be a good idea to keep in mind that if you need your gun in a huge hurry, just a second's delay might cause a very bad outcome.

You can spend a lot more, but the added cost would most likely be diminishing returns. This is an exceptional value:

https://www.galcogunleather.com/avenger-belt-holster_8_4_1023.html

Back