IWB holster question

leadchucker

It seems that even if you use a tuckable IWB type holster, and tuck your shirt tail over the weapon, the holster clip still shows. My guess is that IWB holsters are all intended to be used while wearing a jacket, or leaving your shirt untucked over the clip.

I almost always tuck my shirt in when I'm out and about, and during the summer, I never wear a jacket. Even when I do wear a jacket, there are occasions indoors, etc., where I take it off. If I'm packing, that danged belt clip is a dead giveaway. Even the Galco UDC clip is noticeable.

Anyone figured out how to have an IWB holster really not show, tucked with no jacket?

Please don't take this personally, . . . because I do seriously understand where you are coming from.

You are, however, anticipating that the people with whom you come into contact, are interested in you and what you are carrying. That just isn't the case in today's world. They DO NOT CARE. They DO NOT NOTICE. They ARE INTERESTED IN THEIR needs, desires, purchases, paths, etc.

The best way to beat it from what I have seen is to get a belt and holster from a reputable maker, . . . preferably a custom maker, . . . who will make and stain both so there is no contrast.

Also once you have bloused your shirt just enough to cover the gun, . . . as it billows down, . . . it covers the snaps on top, . . . leaving only the outline of the straps to show, . . . and even the LEO's don't look for them.

May God bless,
Dwight

You can also see pictures of what I meant by looking at the thread in the general hand gun forum: Please Post Pics of your IWB Setup

May God bless,
Dwight

If I saw your shirt out just at that one spot and saw the clip for the holster right at that spot, I would be alerted immediately. Of course some IWB holsters do not have clips but have belt loops, they are less conspicuous if the same color as your belt and I imagine that is what the previous poster was getting at. I think you would just be better off wearing shirts not tucked.

All the best,
Glenn B

the holster clip still shows

Cell phone holster can cover the single clip holster.

Multi-tool holster can also cover the single clip.

Having a belt that matches the clip color (black usually).

Blousing out your shirt so that it drapes down and covers your belt and clip(s).

And as Dwight55 mentioned, most won't give you a second look unless your pink hair is on fire with sparklers and roman candles!

I often give presentations to groups of folks, and am also photographed and videoed including lots of movement on my part, still am CCing each and every time; not been "made" yet, and the largest pistol being Government 1911 IWB (although usually when I know that I will be photographed or videoed I do choose to carry smaller.)

People for the most part are oblivious to little details. People most likely will not even notice the clip, even if they did those who don't carry would probably never make the connection to the clip being part of a holster.

Same thing with printing. If your gun prints just a little the only people who will probably notice are the ones who already know you are carrying.

Finding the right holster can help, but the others are right, the average person just doesn't notice things like that.

I have a few IWB holsters, all tuckable. A HighNoon holster for my revolver sports a massive single clip on it. I find it bothersome and am not comfortable relying on it for concealment, so I wear it like any other IWB with a cover garment.

However, I also have a holster from K&D leather, akin to those like the Crossbreed or Comptach Minotaur, wich ride IWB with two smaller clips to support it. The standard clips on these seemed intrusive, so I quickly ordered a replacement of C-clips which don't cover the face of the belt. Still noticible if you look for them, they're not near the eyesore as other options I've tried. J-clips are also avalable, and would be a bit less noticible still, but not as supported by the belt.

The key is to just match the color of the belt to the clips well and to blouse your shirt out a bit to break up patterns. Works great and carries comfortably.

I wear jeans most of the time, but like to wear button up shirts, tucked in. These C-clips work great for me. I usually find myself wearing a dress-vest, though, so I just carry IWB outside of my shirt instead of tucked, more often than not anymore.

leadchucker,

The Milt Sparks VM-2 has optional Kydex clips that grip the waistband of the pants and are hidden under the belt. These are the most inconspicuous clips I have personally seen.

I take a couple of different approaches.

When I carry IWB, I just don't tuck in my shirt. Un-tucked T-shirt or polo or "Hawaiian" shirt are becoming more common.

If I have to tuck in my shirt, I wear an outer garment. Usually, if I have to tuck, I can also get away with wearing a sport coat. Or in the heat of summer, a tucked T with an open Hawaiian style shirt over it.

If I have to tuck, and can't wear an outer garment, I just pocket carry. That's why the new mini-.380s are so popular. One of those in a pocket holster is the same size and shape as a common wallet.

Most people wouldn't notice if you were open carrying.
Some people might notice excessive printing.
A few will notice some printing.
Hardly anyone will notice a clip on your belt. The ones that do notice are probably looking for people with guns, and probably work LEO/Security for a living. If you are not breaking the law, they probably won't even say anything.

Back