IWB holster for full size PX4

idek

I've never owned an IWB holster before. When I do a google search, the most common responses included...

"we the people"
"concealment express"
"alien gear"

They aren't terribly expensive ($40ish) and they seem to be adjustable for angle, carry height, and wear positions (hip vs. appendix). Since I don't know much about this, I think having that versatility might be nice while I figure out what works best for me.

Are those good options, or can someone recommend other ideas?

I'll mention that the pistol will be carried more in the woods and on trails than in town/buildings. Also, I'm left-handed, so any company that doesn't do left-handed holsters is out for me.

Thanks for the replies. I suspect that I'd rather wear on the hip than appendix, but as stated, I've never used an IWB holster before, so I don't know for sure.

Also, I saw that a person should use an actual "gun belt" with holsters as opposed to a regular belt. Can anyone recommend a decent gun belt? Again, my used would mostly be outdoors, and I don't need anything that's the height of fashion.

An important take-away from trying lots of holsters, especially when it comes to IWB, is that you should NOT skimp on quality. It is totally worth spending a little more and getting one that is actually fit for your particular firearm and will fit you well.

For me, I really don't like Kydex inside my waistband. Kydex is a hard material. Understand that IWB means pressing the gun and holster between you and your belted pants all day long. (Kydex can also scuff up the finish on your gun but that's another discussion.) This is why hybrid holsters exist. That often involves a kydex shell attached to a leather back. I've not had good experiences with those either. The fit is never quite as good as with just kydex or just leather. Many of those also do not fully cover the muzzle, which can lead to the gun being pushed up out of retention if you bump into something like a table or counter edge.

I prefer the comfort of leather. If you tend to sweat a lot, look into horsehide as opposed to cowhide, at least on the back. Make sure the back extends to keep between you and the gun. Since the full-sized PX4 is fairly large, consider holsters with two anchor points spaced out from the holster. As far as the specific anchors, consider whether or not you'll need to tuck in a shirt around it. Here are some examples. I have not tried these specifically but I know the Milt Sparks holsters have a good reputation here.

https://www.thesoutherntrapper.com/collections/holsters/products/the-uncle-sam

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-versa-max-2.php

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-criterion.php

BTW, do you have the low-profile levers installed on your PX4 Storm? If not, it really streamlines the gun for carry. It's amazing how much less chunky it feels without the batwing safeties sticking out.

Couple pics of my PX4 Full-size and Compact (both DAO) in their Winthrop holsters, then the Compact in a Stealthgear, which I’m actually wearing now.

149f77efe88bb576ed6507525b476e39.jpg

9c2e6176e0b9efb0945184ddc72ddbc5.jpg

46711d792f9790f8b26e7b9db2d2d21f.jpg

I've never owned an IWB holster before. When I do a google search, the most common responses included...

"we the people"
"concealment express"
"alien gear"

IMHO, pass on aliengear.

Concealment Express and "We the people" are your basic kydex taco style. I see their ads all the time on the Book of Faces. I have a Concealment Express IWB for one gun. It works. If you're doing basic IWB at 3-4 o'clock (8-9 o'clock for lefties) position, they're fine.

They aren't terribly expensive ($40ish) and they seem to be adjustable for angle, carry height, and wear positions (hip vs. appendix). Since I don't know much about this, I think having that versatility might be nice while I figure out what works best for me.

Are those good options, or can someone recommend other ideas?

pass on aliengear. Get the basic kydex taco. replace the belt clip with 2 pull the dot type snap loops, for security. More reliable.

Lots of vendors make this style.

Last edited:
Send an Email to Garrett Holsters with your info
They will walk you though the process and set you up
Their holsters are outstanding in terms of quality, comfort, and practicality

After many decades and boxes filled with holsters that I never fully warmed to
Their Silent Thunder line is my go-to for almost all situations
All the benefits of kydex... without the drawbacks of leather*
All the benefits of leather... without the drawbacks of kydex*

*this will make sense once you start using them

Back