IWB Holster - Feedback appreciated

tx_2_pa

Inactive
It's been a while since I've CCW'ed, several years in fact. Just ordered a XDm 3.8 compact in 9mm, looking for holster options and was blown away by all the stuff available now (just like I was with the new guns).

My old favorites when I was actively carrying were:

Crossbreed supertuck - The cow/horse hide didn't last very long and the clips (plastic or metal) that came with the holster. I also had to do some mods to get a full high firing grip while still in holster. This was a great company with great support but not a fan of the hybrid holster after messing with these for several different guns.

Bladetech Infidel - I liked it but it would get uncomfortable because it didn't have any sweat shield (I do wear a wife beater but it would still chafe). I see there is the Bladetech Ultra Max Infidel now, that didn't used to exist that I remember. Good option but really pricey, I'm not opposed to it but that's the best option I've seen so far.

I really prefer a kydex holster that can be worn straight to 15 or so degree cant with leather loops (if possible, not necessary) with a cusion of some sort.

I plan to carry and probably use this as an IDPA holster (I shoot with what I carry, don't care about winning). I have looked at so many options my head hurts and would appreciate any real practical feedback.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I know you said you are not crazy about Hybrid bur take a look at Alien Gear,

You get the leather or neoprene) body and kydex shell, All can be adjusted, inexpensive. 30 day no NS trial, free shell exchange for ever, Whats not to like?

Other than that there are just to many holsters out there which is why most folks have a drawer full of them.

Thanks Rule3.

I looked at the Alien Gear stuff a lot, looked really interesting but in all honestly if I'm going to carry that type of holster I'd stick with Crossbreed holsters and spend the extra money on horsehide...I would sweat through the leather during the summer in TX but it's not as hot here. The warranty looked nice but I don't know if I trust the synthetic stuff any more than I do leather.

I ended up ordering a Blade-Tech Nano IWB, I really wanted a Kydex holster with some type of lining or padding on the back but this one had a full sweat shield, adjustable cant and pull the dot snaps. Comptac had a few that I liked also, just flipped a coin and decided basically.

There are lots of newish players in this market (concealmentexpress, alien gear) that I'll keep an eye on but I'll stick with what I know for now. :)

TX,

I make my own. I've made one for that pistol for a friend. One thing you can do is glue a piece of suede to the back of it. It makes a big difference. It adds a small bit of comfort but also helps limit movement of the holster in the waistband.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160915_220617.jpg
    IMG_20160915_220617.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20160915_220625.jpg
    IMG_20160915_220625.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_20160915_220646.jpg
    IMG_20160915_220646.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 304
Wishoot. I liked the look of the clinger holsters except the one I liked wasn't adjustable. I didn't like the adjustable one (single belt clip to the side of the gun...doesn't look stable to me). I'll keep an eye on this manufacturer though.

Hoppy, I just might do that...I had a paddle holster once with something like that on the back of it, the non-slip factor was as important as getting the plastic off of my skin. Any special kind of adhesive? How often you replace it?

TX,
I use contact cement. Works great, doesn't ever come off. I've never had to replace it.

Off the skin is a good point too. I wear an t shirt undershirt everyday, even in the summer with shorts and t shirt. It makes carry very comfortable.

My brother doesn't wear an undershirt but thinks the holster I made for him is still comfortable with the suede on it.

I'll give that a shot then hoppy. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions too.

I will probably end up with an alien gear holster pretty soon too just because but I'm stepping back into guns and gear slowly. :):):)

I'm a big fan of U.S. Grunt Gear holsters. Small company with good products at least as far as my experience has been. I have their IWB, models for G17, G19, G43, and G42. All have arrived as ordered, they are nicely finished, robust, and the passive retention works great. They have lots of styles and colors to choose from, plus a lot of other cool gear to boot. I paid about $50 for each of mine and the website shows about 2 - 3 weeks lead time.
My holster for the G19 gets the most use by far as it is my EDC about 90% of the time, and it has survived 2 and 3 day classes With John Farnam, Tactical Response, and Firearms Academy of Seattle. Despite rolling on the ground in rocks, mud, rain, snow, dust, cold and hot it looks as good today as the day I got it. Well worth a look.

find them at; www.usgruntgear.com

First off, great choice in carry gun, that is exactly what I carry :)

Secondly, I have had a few IWB holsters. I got an Alien Gear 3.0 just a month ago and I really like it. Comfortable, adjustable, easy to holster, and seems well constructed. Biggest complaint initially was getting it clipped onto whatever pants i was wearing that day, but I got used to it. Still, a single clip design is more convenient to take on and off!

Personally, I wouldn't use IWB for IDPA. The reholstering of a hot (loaded chambered) into IWB is a little unnerving even after a few years of carry! While I don't compete, as I understand it there is a lot of in and out of the holster.

I have two Nate Squared Tactical Professional IWB holsters. Their website is http://n82tactical.com. One is for my Glock 17 Gen 4 and the other is for my Glock 30 Gen 4. They are a single clip holster with a suede backing - no part of the gun touches your body. N82 also has a 30 trial.

Please check them out - I don't think you will be disappointed.

Like Hoppy, I have made my own from sheets of Kydex. It's not difficult, there are quite a few good (and a few bad) videos on YouTube. I've also watched a friend who has a holster-making business. If you decide to venture down this road, I would suggest making one and wearing it around the house and get familiar with it. You will probably find it needs some adjusting, usually a slight adjustment with a heat gun will do the trick. Once you are happy with it, then use it. That's what I've done with several of my pistols.

At the advice of others, I bought a Nate Squared (N82). It was not a mistake; this holster is insanely comfortable. I've bought two now.

Mark, glad you like your N82 holsters. I have two also and I really like mine - extremely comfortable.

Last edited:
The N82 pro looks interesting but after sweating through some hybrid holsters I'm nervous about anything porous like that coming in direct contact with the gun. I never had a *good* gun get rusted or pitted but it did screw up the finish on a Bersa .380 and something else (don't remember what it was).

The Nano IWB has worked out pretty well, I'm still thinking about getting some suede to put on the back of it just to give it a little padding and grip my undershirt a little.

rpseraph - Thanks. The alien gear looks interesting too, if this one doesn't work out I'll have a choice or two to make. I always used my carry gun and carry holster for IDPA, I wear it @ 3:00. I've been away from shooting for so long I'm still another month or two from getting my fundamentals at a point where I'm comfortable hitting a match :).

Thanks again for the responses. Just got my permit earlier this week. Now to brush up on the Pennsylvania CCW laws and figure out where I can and can't go (basically none of the surrounding states except VA it looks like).

tx_2_pa -

I have had two N82 Professional holsters, one for my Glock 17 and another one for my Block 30 for 3 years. The gun has never been scratched, marred or moist because of sweat. The holster is made of three materials. A very soft suede material is the back of the holster that sits against your body - in my case my T-Shirt. There is a middle layer of moisture proof neoprene. The third material is very soft leather that the polycarbonate holster shell is attached too that the gun slides into. I wear these holsters everyday with no issues. They are extremely comfortable for all day wear.

N82 offers a 30 day trial with a refund if you want to sen it back.

Back