IWB Holster and Belt

epl1007

Going to be getting my concealed carry soon was wondering what are the best IWB holsters and belt for comfort and how long they will last
Thanks Erik

Galco makes some REALLY nice gun belts. Sturdy and good looking.

Holsters are VERY much individual preference and based on where on the belt you plan on carrying. The further behind the point of the hip, the more cant you will want. If going appendix it should be vertical. For crossdraw it should have a reverse cant.

Then there are all the different materials the holster can be made from. Kydex is my choice, but my buddy hates it and only wants leather. To each his own.

Then there is method of retention. Friction, click in "molded, thumb break, some other form of active locking device?

Lots of choices to make. Eventually (just like all of us) you will end up with a drawer full of old holsters and 1 that you use all the time.

Haven't picked up a gun yet. Going to shoot a Glock 36 a Sig P320sc and a M&P9c to see which gun I shoot well

The reason I joined this forum in 2008 was to inquire about a concealed carry gun and holster.

The gun ended up being a Glock 33, which I still carry to this day. Had I to do it again, I would have (probably) bought the no longer made S&W M&P in 357sig.

I kept reading about all these folks that had boxes full of holsters under their beds that they had bought and tried before finding the "right" one.

I was not (still ain't) a man of significant means. I could not and can not afford to try of box of $50-$100 holsters until I find the right one.

I read A LOT....

The holster (and belt) I ended up with were both Crossbreed, the holster a Supertuck.

If I had to do it over again... the belt and holster I'd end up with would be a Crossbreed and the Supertuck.

I wear it daily. It's darker now, molded itself to my body, got bends where it didn't used to... and it works great to this very day, nearly 7 years from first use.

The belt, I wore for about 5 years. Truly, it only lasted about 3. They lose their structural integrity and no longer properly support the weight of the gun after a while. I should have replaced it much sooner.

I replaced it with a horsehide belt from The BeltMan. It's a nice belt, but very much more expensive and if I had to do it again I'd rather have the Crossbreed.

Personally, my favorite belt is my Blade-tech Looper belt. I've had it for a few years, and it has been extremely durable, and comfortable to wear, with or without a firearm and holster.

As for a holster, I am a big fan of the hybrid style IWB holsters made famous by Crossbreed, and copied by everyone under the sun. I suggest starting with Alien Gear, since they are a very reasonable price with very good quality, and their lifetime shell swap is perfect for a new gun owner as he or she moves from gun to gun to find one that "fits."

After lots of research, I hit upon a good belt with my very first try: the Aker B21. Obviously, I haven't tried a lot of different belts, but 5 years down the road, I'm still happy with my Aker.

Like others, though, I have the proverbial box of holsters. I use most of mine, though, because different situations call for different holsters. With all of that said, my Crossbreed Supertuck gets far and way more time on my hip than any of my others.

I have been using an inexpensive Uncle Mike's nylon belt. It's ok but I decided to upgrade, I carry a G17 in AIWB and been hearing a lot about
Bigfoot Gunbelts. on Facebook. I ordered one Christmas Eve (18oz leather with a steel core) it was shipped the day after Christmas (NICE TURNAROUND). I'll report back after i have worn it awhile.

So many choices and so very personal. What works for one person may be a disaster for another. That's why a lot of us have boxes or drawers full of holsters collecting dust.

My favorite combination is a belt made of SCUBA webbing and a COBRA buckle coupled with a hybrid holster (really like the Comp Tac MTAC, but there are others that work very well too).

My only advice....Don't skimp. The more you carry, the more you realize just how important a good belt and holster are.

Back