Ivory question

2wheelwander

I am beneficiary to my grandfathers estate, which is being sold. Part of the contents is a very old player piano - with ivory keys. The piano is trash. Rodents had taken up residence long ago. Wood is toast. It has sat dormant for the better part of 60/70 years. I remember hearing it play with scrolls as a kid.

I want to take my share of the ivory and have inlays made for a few of my guns, mainly revolver grip inlays. One belonged to my father I gave him when I got out of the service and have a very personal idea for it. Less than zero interest in selling (which I think is very illegal anyway?) Because of the age there is no paperwork on the piano. Again, this will not be sold, its been in my family for close to a decade and I plan on keeping it that way.

Commissioned a custom knife made some years ago by a man who was licensed dealer in mammoth, walrus, and I believe elephant ivory, but he is long retired and I can't get a hold if him.

Options?

Good luck on your projects

2wheelwander
Not sure what your question is but if you are asking, if it's legal, the answer is yes. About thirty years ago, we moved into an older home and dound a keyboard, in the attic. I stripped all the Ivory off and inlaid a few pieces. It was very easy to work with. I still have some left over as well as the trimmings. Good luck on your projects and;

Be Safe !!!

Back