Iver Johnson's arms and cycle works

Jasun

So my father in law was digging through some stuff and busted out this .32 revolver. Don't know much about it other then it looks like it has shaved a little led in its day. Anyone have any info on this?

My eyes are too old to read the fuzzy patent markings on the barrel, pull the left grip and post the serial number and any letter pre fix that may be there.

To all appearances, the gun is an Iver Johnson Small Frame, hammer type Safety Automatic revolver, First Variation. (The nomenclature is from Goforth, Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993.)

Those were made only in 1894, so the gun is an antique (pre-1899) under Federal law, and also is usually recommended for use only with black powder, though a very limited amount of firing with modern .32 S&W ammunition should not damage the gun.

There is a growing collector interest in I.J. revolvers, and I would guess at a retail value of $100-150. The problem is that few dealers are interested since no parts are available and any kind of warranty at resale would be impossible. The same problem would also apply to any broken or missing parts.

Jim

Howdy

Iver Johnson revolvers were very popular inexpensive revolvers. The design of yours is what is called a Top Break because to load them you broke them open by opening the latch and rotating the barrel down. The ejector should pop up then snap back down again as you open the gun, throwing empty shells clear. Iver Johnsons were less expensive than Smith and Wesson Top Break revolvers of the same period.

Around 1900 Iver Johnson redesigned their revolvers specifically for Smokeless powder.

Look at the little owl on the grip. Notice he is facing forward. If you pull the grips off you will see the main spring is a leaf spring. These are indications that this is an older Iver Johnson made before the changeover to the Smokeless powder design.

This is a 38 S&W Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless designed to shoot Smokeless Powder. Notice the little owl is facing backwards. If I were to remove the grips the hammer spring would be a coil spring. Also notice the difference in the shape of the bolt locking slots on the cylinder. On the BP Iver Johnsons the hand prevents the cylinder from rotating backwards. On the Smokeless guns the bolt is captured by both edges of the locking slot to prevent it from moving. The Smokeless guns were made of a stronger steel to withstand the pressure and concussion generated by Smokeless ammunition.

IverJohnsonHammerless01.jpg

Of course you are not going to be able to find 32 S&W ammunition loaded with Black Powder today, the only ammo you will find is loaded with Smokeless powder. Don't shoot it a whole lot and it will probably be fine, it has probably been fired with Smokeless ammunition at some point over the years.

Iver Johnson labeled revolvers made on or after 1909 are made with a strengthen frame for smokeless powder. Prior to this they are considered black powder.

Iver Johnson labeled revolvers made on or after 1909 are made with a strengthen frame for smokeless powder. Prior to this they are considered black powder.

Howdy Again

But how is somebody to know when a particular revolver was made? The three characteristics I described, the direction the little owl is facing, flat mainspring or coil mainspring, and shape of the cylinder locking slots will tell even the most inexperienced shooter whether it is a Black Powder gun or a Smokeless gun. These changes went along with the stronger frame for the Smokeless powder guns.

My Iver Johnson Safety Automatic Hammerless .38 is an older black powder model. I do handload very mild loads for it and shoot it a few times a year.

DSCN0662-1.jpg

I still shoot my Empire State Arms .38 as well.

DSCN0665-1.jpg

both shown with a Taurus 85 for scale.

DSCN0661-1.jpg

iver

I have a Iver Johnson that is a 38sw. It has the owl facing rear and a flat sprinf under the grips so i am confused as to if i can shoot smokeless powder. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Iver Johnson that is a 38sw. It has the owl facing rear and a flat sprinf under the grips so i am confused as to if i can shoot smokeless powder. Any help would be appreciated.

The three characteristics I described, the direction the little owl is facing, flat mainspring or coil mainspring, and shape of the cylinder locking slots will tell even the most inexperienced shooter whether it is a Black Powder gun or a Smokeless gun. These changes went along with the stronger frame for the Smokeless powder guns.

If any one shows as black powder, assume it is black powder.

Of course you are not going to be able to find 32 S&W ammunition loaded with Black Powder today, the only ammo you will find is loaded with Smokeless powder. Don't shoot it a whole lot and it will probably be fine, it has probably been fired with Smokeless ammunition at some point over the years.

usually recommended for use only with black powder, though a very limited amount of firing with modern .32 S&W ammunition should not damage the gun.

If you need to know for sure

pull the left grip and post the serial number and any letter pre fix that may be there.

Bottom of the gun stamped...Nothing behind the grips.

Post what you find and hope to get a more detailed answer

Saw a nearly identical model for sale at a yard sale a few weeks ago. Cylinder lock-up and timing was downright unsafe, and the guy had a price tag of $200 on it. I showed him the issues with the pistol and told him it would be unethical to sale the firearm without disclosing those issues. I also told him that price was more than double what it was worth in the current condition. I don't think he cared. Oh well.

A few years ago I bought one like that, in non-functioning condition, for $25. I didn't care that it's broken -- I wanted something to show students in my NRA Basic Pistol classes a real top break firearm. The fact that it's in an obscure chambering (.32) was an added bonus. My rule is that students aren't allowed to bring firearms or ammunition into the class, but there's always "that guy" who just has to bend the rules. And that's the same guy who would have a 9mm round in his pocket and would just have to see if it will fit in a demonstration gun that's being passed around the class.

Which is why for many of my classroom props I use either blue guns or non-firing replicas. But I haven't yet found a non-firing replica of a top break. (And, if they made one, it would cost a lot more than 25 bucks anyway.)

I found some dummy rounds for the little .32 top break, so I can actually demonstrate how it loads and unloads.

Anyone have any info on this?

Howdy

Iver Johnson called them 'Safety' revolvers because they had a transfer bar to transfer the force of the hammer to a firing pin, much like modern Rugers.

For many years Iver Johnson had a marketing slogan called Hammer the Hammer to show how safe these revolvers were.

ARG1_070_zpsayl9grfi.jpg

The reason they were called 'Automatic' was because opening the revolver automatically ejected the spent, empty shells. Just like with a Smith and Wesson Top Break.

ammo

Buffalo Arms still sells black powder.32s&w ammo,pricey but you can get it.
ps, shorts or longs

I bought some guns couple weeks ago. There was a IJ break down, nickel &
Pearl grips ( one panel chipped ) last patent date 1896 on barrel. Similar to
OPs. Decent firing condition, sold on line for $80 instantly.

I have a first year smokeless .38 S&W model. Got to love their advertising.

Attachments

• Iver_Johnson_Safety_Hammerless_ad_with_little_girl1.jpg
    Iver_Johnson_Safety_Hammerless_ad_with_little_girl1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for sharing valuable information once again DJ, it's always fun to find you in a thread. OP, thanks for finding such a gem to post about! That ratty old box is one sure indication that we've got a classic on our hands :)

If any of you guys are interested, I have two Iver Johnson boxes that I was willing to give to anyone who would pay the shipping cost. Below are the links to the posts and pictures.

Post 1

Post 2

Back