Iver Johnson

Jim Burton

I have an Iver Johnson, top break revolver, 32 cal. with a shrouded hammer. It has a coil spring mainspring and the Serial number is 3888. Before I put anything into it, is it worth fixing, or is this another junker like the spanish revolver I asked about yesterday.

Jim Burton

Jim, I am not up on the nuances of Ivy Js but here is a rather informative site. History, models etc.
http://www2.arkansas.net/~sws1/ij-faq.htm

Which .32 is it chambered for ? That and details such as grip material, logo etc may help others pin yours down. Nickle or blue ?

Exact name of company as on the gun will also help in dating.

Iver Johnson & Co. Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works. etc etc.

Seems that they ran serial numbers by batches and reused some batches with different models.

If in good shape, should be safe and fun with the proper cartridge. Unlike your Spanish bookend.:)

Sam

I wouldn't put a lot of money in it, they're worth maybe $100 for a really nice one. As a point of reference, I have one that's pretty much 100%, and appears to be unfired, and I paid $75 for it. The plating is perfect on the front of the cylinders, and the bore is mint. Even the inside of the cylinder is unmarked. Unless the repairs are pretty cheap, I wouldn't spend the money fixing it...

Iver_Johnson_Safety_Action_DA.jpg

Johnwill.....agree with your general point on worth. We got one like yours for $75 recently. Good shooter.

There is the off chance that Jim has one that is antique and collectable.

Sam

An IJ is a better gun that the Spanish Alfa. Yours is most likely chambered for .32 S&W. I would use the .32 S&W Short in it if you want to shoot it, but even with the .32 S&W Long, it would not be adequate (IMHO) for serious purposes. (I say this knowing that probably more people became eligible for premature planting from calibers like the .25ACP, .22 rimfire, and .32 S&W than any of the more powerful calibers.)

The IJs, like most older guns, tend to break, and repair costs are often far more than the gun is worth. In fact, many gunsmiths won't touch them because you can spend hours on one and never be able to collect a fair price for the work.

Jim

Back