Iver Johnson topbreak

mravery

Hello all,

I've recently discovered that I like the 38 S&W cartridge and have added toy to my toy box.

I would love to get some additional information. Perhaps manufacturing date and exact model as it appears that IJ had many models for each style handgun.

From what I can tell so far it's an Iver Johnson 2nd Model Safety Hammerless in 38 s&w

serial number is D281XX and the last patent date is '93

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• pistols 015.jpg
    pistols 015.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 77
  • pistols 016.jpg
    pistols 016.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 49
  • pistols 017.jpg
    pistols 017.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 43
more pics

Attachments

• pix167900172.jpg
    pix167900172.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 42
  • pix608496206.jpg
    pix608496206.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 45
  • pix797107178.jpg
    pix797107178.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 35
IJ Safety Hammerless

I have the same revolver. The grips on yours indicate that it is a black powder model. If the owl's head faces the trigger guard it is the older black powder only model, if the owl's head faces the bottom of the grip frame it is a newer (1909+) smokeless powder model.

I have three old top breaks, two .38 S&W and one .32 S&W. I handload for them and they are fun to shoot. I know that some shoot smokeless powder through their black powder models but unless they are reduced loads, I wouldn't recommend it. I definitely advise against any factory ammunition being fired through any black powder top breaks of any manufacturer.

Edited to add: I don't know for certain about the 1909 date but all of these IJs are very old and whether black powder or smokeless powder models, the use of any factory ammunition is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Howdy

This Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless is a Smokeless model. Notice the direction the little owl is facing on the grips. Notice the different design of the cylinder locking notches, allowing the bolt to prevent the cylinder from rotating backwards, rather than relying on the hand. And if the grips were removed, it would be seen that the hammer spring is a coil spring, not a leaf spring. These are the three identifying features that differentiate a Smokeless Iver Johnson revolver from a Black Powder model.

IverJohnsonHammerless01.jpg

IverJohnsonHammerless02.jpg

At some point, sorry I do not know exactly when, IJ completely redesigned their revolver line to include these features, and used a better grade of steel, specifically for Smokeless powder. While I will not use Smokeless powder in any pre-1900 revolver, the features I describe make these Smokeless powder Iver Johnsons safe to shoot with modern factory Smokeless 38 S&W ammunition.

Can't help with a date or model name of the OP's IJ. There used to be a guy on the web who ran a page all about Iver Johnsons, and he could have helped, but I have not been able to find his web page for a few years now.

Back