Iver Johnson target Model 1900

Btaylor

Inactive
I recently came in possession of a IJ 1900 target chambered in 22
The serial number is A28372

I have a couple questions:

Can someone with knowledge of these tell me the date of manufacture.
This is mostly curiosity. But may be important should I go looking for parts.

2nd the cylinder catch only works when the hammer is cocked. It freewheels otherwise, I anticipate there is a spring missing or broken and although I've found some old parts diagrams I have seen an explode or section view to help me understand how everything in this little guy is connected or works. I could just start pulling pins and looking things over but I like to be more educated before I do things of this nature.

The condition of the finish is pretty rough however mechanically seems ok.
I cycled several sub sonic rounds through it and aside from freewheeling it performed pretty well. My only goal at the moment is to make it safe and functional.

The "gear" on the rear of the cylinder is somewhat worn so if I found 1 of those in good condition I would consider upgrading that.

Also a general question I was shooting sub sonics just to take it easy on everything as I know this is an older gun. Is that necessary? good or bad idea etc.

I appreciate any help, I am new to the forum and all though I own a fair number of firearms this is truly my first time in the antique arena. I would also like to note that forums are new for me so if my posting format and or etiquette are poor I apologize in advance.

Thanks, Ben

Unless the revolver has sentimental value I would use it for a wall hanger. The money and time to restore it is cost preventive. Buying used parts for that type, class of revolver is pretty hit and miss. Most used parts on market came from junked out guns. Good chance they won’t jive with worn parts in another gun.
I been there and done that. I was slow learner and did it more than once.

I'm guessing some of those might have been made for black powder before the the smokeless powder pistols. You could search other IJ 1900 serial numbers to see what date range yours is in, and that should let you know if it was made for black powder or modern ammo.

Back