iver johnson odd serial prefix

slyreaper

Inactive
I just bought a ivers johnosn supposed .32 cal at an auction. the serial prefix is an S 4312x the owls are looking straight out, it has smaller rear sights, and the cylinder spins one way freely when at rest, it has ( i think) a leaf spring type spring in the handle its not a coil, it is a double action with the safety block. Can any one tell me the model and/or year??????

Also if any one can point me in a direction of where i can find a tear down diagram that would be great. The trigger will not automatically return to the rest position. it stays back as if the hammer was cocked unless i move it forward with my finger.

Last edited:
SN852210.jpg

iversjohnson.jpg

SN852205.jpg

SN852203.jpg

Looks just like a Second Model Small Frame { Cycle Model }, either 4th or 5th variation, made in 1907. Serial numbers for that model, that year, went from S00001 to S50000. Total producton for all vaiations 950,000. BTW, Just for information , Iver Johnson did not go to smokeless frames until 1909, the second model was the last black powder firearm in that series.:)

wow thanks for the info. Darn I was really hoping it would be a smokeless powder pistol. i couldn't see it before but i cleaned the but of the handle and it says.

june 16,96 aug 25,96
pats pending

well at least it looks good for being over 100 years old.

is there any way to be sure its a black powder or not? (besides trying both and what ever one cracks the case was the wrong one)

Last edited:
It is a black powder gun, however, the 32 Short is a very mild cartridge and the Iver Johnson was a very strong gun. It wouldn't blow up on you, if anything, because of the different power curve it may over time stretch the frame. Mr. Bill Goforth, the Iver expert makes a flat recommendation not to use smokeless powder in the black powder guns, however other knowledgeable people on this forum have stated they have done so. I will not advise either way. It does look in excellent condition and Numrich should have the trigger return spring you need.

That's really some thing to think about. I wont mind buying black powder rounds when i can find them but im not sure any one around here would stock them.

Would this pistol be considered a 1900 double action revolver or old model safety hammer auto revolver?

Last edited:
I reciently started collecting these myself...

though I prefer the Hopkins & Allen Safety Police models myself, I really like the cylinder attachment system that the Ivers use

... Trailboss is a great powder for these guns... if you are a reloader, look out, you'll get hooked on these... I have a very mild load using a Hornady lead ball rather than a bullet, that is extremely easy on the gun, & I have several guns capable of 1.5" 30 ft groups... plenty accurate for putzing around with... MRS MAGNUM loves these old guns & these Trailboss loads, because there is litterally no recoil & about as loud as a childs cap gun

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392794

BTW... very nice looking gun...

Last edited:
Back