Iver Johnson model 50 "Sidewinder" any info out there ???

well... my Sidewinder showed up yesterday ( I bought it on Gun Broker ) it was supposed to be in good mechanical shape, but rougher cosmetic shape, & was a "work in progress" ... I didn't pay too much for it, & it came out of Florida... I assume ( I don't have any Iver books yet ), that these were made between 1950 & the introduction of the model 55 target model... mine has a loading gate... any eye deer if that had a small spring to keep it closed, or relyed on friction of the screw to keep it closed, mine works if the screw is tight, but loosens the screw from opening & closing, & once it gets to a point, the gate can fall open??? I could use Lock Tite on the screw if there wasn't ever a spring there... it has a very nice wide hammer & serrated wide trigger, & looks to be very nice to shoot, the trigger pull is very good also... if a screw were added to contact the sear mechanism behind the trigger, to lessen the travel, it could almost be of modern target grade... if anyone could point in the direction of more info, that would be great... even better if you've handled or shot one... it does have the distinction of being only one of two that I know of, double action revolvers, with single action loading gates & ejector rods & housings... the other being a Colt Lightning

attachment.php

Last edited:
IIRC, the loading gate has a kind of raised part that acts as a catch if the screw is tight enough. There is a place where the screw is tight enough for the gate to stay, but loose enough to be opened without loosening the screw. It was not a very good system.

FWIW, that gun looks pretty beat. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

BTW, the Colt DA Model 1878 also has both a loading gate and an ejector rod; in fact, its loading gate is part of the mechanism and keeps the cylinder from rotating backward.

Jim

MWM: May I suggest getting hold of the good folks at Jack First,Inc. Thier cat.#12, Vol.12 has a very nice diagram of the Mod.50 on page 1745 & parts list on 1746. I've seen worse that lock up and fire great, but I'd have a good 'smith check it out. Good luck!

Back