Iver Johnson curio or modern

mdevlin53

Inactive
Iver Johnson hammerless pocket revolver in what appears to be 32 cal.double action top break. It is marked Iver Johnson Arms &Cycle Works Fitchburg Mass on the rib. I am curious if this gun is considered a curio or a modern wepon. If i were to purchase this gun would it be something that would have to be listed on a permit or would it be classified as a collector piece? I live in NY if that makes the permit question any more easy to answer.

Attachments

• IJ I.jpg
    IJ I.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 66
Well, it's certainly a C&R firearm, but as far as I know, that is only relevant if you have a federal C&R license.

As far as NY state laws go, my understanding is that it's got to be registered, no matter how old it is, but your best bet is to check with your local law enforcement people. There seem to be an awful lot of different rules, depending upon where in New York you live.

I did some surfing and in NY at leaast it all is based on the amunition availability, if the ammo is not made for a pistol anymore and it is more than 50 years old it may not need to be registered.
This one seems to be a modern issue
Another question is the serial number this one is I3I3xx under the grip and 3I3xx on the trigger guard it has two posts on the latch a coil spring for the hammer no safety on the trigger so i think it is a 3rd model can anybody tell me the approxamate date of manufacture.

It was my understanding that there was no such thing as C&R ammunition any more. Did I read that reg wrong?? :confused:

I am more confused the more i read about the law on these guns. Sufice to say the 32S&W cartidge is still available so in the case of this wepon a licence would be required.

I don't know about the NY state law on antiques, but if you remove the left grip and provide the serial number WITH any letter prefix, we can date the gun. It is certainaly a C&R under Federal law, but that means nothing in many states.

Jim

Hello Jim K
the number on the bottom of the trigger is 3I333 and under the grip its I3I333.
There are som patent info on the butt pretty worn but it says (i think) Pat pend Nov then its worn,

Any help is welcome

It is not an antique (pre-1899) under federal law, so it probably has no special status in NY. Does NY even have an exemption for collector guns? I thought all cartridge guns had to be registered and on the owner's permit, regardless of age.

Jim

Back