Iver Johnson 32 short

GaryED50

Checking gunbroker I'm seeing a few of these at very reasonable prices. Thinking of buying one just as a range shooter. but not sure about Ammo availability are they hand load only these days?
pix739632870.jpg

I had one of those. This is the size I wish they would make a current 32 (long) revolver in. I understand it might be a touch bigger.

Traded it away for next to nothing once upon a time. Fun little gun.

.32 S&W (No "short" about it.) is still in production.
BUT, the revolver you show is commonly called a "black powder Model" and people are afraid to shoot them with fresh smokeless ammo.
I recommend you learn the differences and get a "smokeless rated" IJ or HR so as to avoid anxiety.

I shoot the crap out of mine with hand loads which are a little faster than the factory ammo which dupes black powder loads.
These pistols are rated for 19,000 PSI and most loads don't come close to that.
If your bore is very good or better they shoot very well. The accuracy of the .32 S&W cartridge is impressive at 25 yards.

There are H&R top breaks in .32 S&W Long that were made specifically for smokeless powder and will be close in price to the .32 S&W models, but be chambered for a more common and cheaper ammo.

Due to the age of these guns, either hand load the .32 S&W Long with Trail Boss powder or only shoot .32 wadcutter in them.

Back