Iver Johnson .32 3rd Model Top Break

Tidewater_Kid

I have had this old pistol for years and have slowly been finding parts for it. I finally have everything I need to finish, but I cannot for the life of me see how the trigger return spring goes in. I have found pictures of everything else, but not detailed pictures of that part.

The 3rd model uses coil and round springs. My trigger spring is the round type.

Andy

Figured it out I think. Haven't finished, but it appears that the two arms were just too long.

Hopefully I can get it back together now!

267160.jpg

Got it cut to the right size, but the wire diameter is just too big. It will not work in my model. Anybody got any ideas? Numrich also has a flat V spring they show for these.

Hello, I have watched people make springs out of music wire, then temper them. I realize that this is not what you asked, but sometimes parts are not readily available.
It does appear that you now have a terrific template to follow. The music wire is available in different diameters, so you should have no issue finding what you need.

Alternatively, depending on where your current spring is too big, perhaps it can be filed down. If it is too big in an area that does not act as a spring ( meaning a non flexing area) perhaps that will work. Any area that is filed, will lose it's temper, and will break there if stressed.

Good luck, don't give up

Rich

Thanks. They (Numrich) list a flat V spring, I ordered that to try. Might have to go the music wire route. The spring they sent is the right shape, but the diameter of the wire is too big to fit in the needed space unless almost completely compressed. I think it's for the .38 model. They don't list a caliber on that one, but do on most of the other items.

Back