I've switched from IWB strong side hip to small of back for ccw

I carry a CW9 but strong side small of back is just way more comfy I've discovered. Strong side hip is great until I have to sit down for longer than 5 minutes. The pistol pokes me in the hip bone and becomes uncomfortable quickly. Small of back is way better. I can sit for long periods of time. I can still feel the gun is there but no major comfort issues. I may be sacrificing a few milliseconds on the draw I have noticed, but I think I can deal with that as I always keep my eyes open and try and stay aware of everything going on around me art all times.

Any thoughts on this matter?

What has surprised me is how much difference a few inches one way or the other can make when carrying especially IWB. So, what works for one person may not work for someone else. The trick is to experiment and find your best “set-up”.

Personally I would be concerned about my gun showing in the small of the back. I can just see my shirt getting hung up on the grip and me walking through the mall with my SIG hanging out.

I am trainIng myself to squat using my knees rather than bending at my back to prevent this. Plus, I check back there often to make sure I'm not exposing my firearm so I dont think that will be an issue.

I did the complete opposite and moved the gun from the 6 o'clock to the 4 o'clock because the small of the back was very uncomfortable while sitting. To each his own.

Since you asked about your method of carry, let me say you'd better take care not to fall on your back while carrying there.

My wife switched over to an auto (S&W 469) and ordered this:
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/430.html

She likes it because it doesn't bump her arms. She normally wears a long coat, or shirt and a tech jacket so it doesn't really show.

I can just see my shirt getting hung up on the grip and me walking through the mall with my SIG hanging out.

I saw some guy at Wallyworld have that happen, I tapped him on his shoulder, he thanked me.

I'm not carrying small of back center, more strong side over my right cheek. When I carry my sig p250c it is bigger so I may find it to not work as well with that pistol.

Water man,

What happens if you fall on your hip while carrying there? I use a holster as well so not too concerned about that. Carrying has risks no matter what your placement IMO.

Just read tfl link posted above. Did not realize you were talking spinal injury. I am carrying just above my right butt cheek not center. If there is a different name for that, I apologize for any confusion.

I am carrying just above my right butt cheek not center. If there is a different name for that, I apologize for any confusion.

There is -- it's "behind hip carry" or sometimes "4 or 5 o'clock position." The latter pretends you're standing in the center of clock face, with your belly button at 12 o'clock, your right hip at 3 o'clock, your butt at 6 o'clock.

Small of back carry positions the firearm directly over the spine, and as others have said, it does endanger your spinal cord because if you fall or get slammed against a wall during the encounter, it focuses all the force into a vulnerable spot on the body. It's also a slow & somewhat awkward draw that begins by putting oneself in half an armlock. ;)

Nothing wrong with behind hip at all, though you've already discovered it's a bit slower to draw because you need to bring the arm across a greater distance than when the gun is nearer the front of the body. But it's a good, concealable carry method that a lot of people have used for years. Glad to hear it's working for you.

pax

pax

There is -- it's "behind hip carry" or sometimes "4 or 5 o'clock position." The latter pretends you're standing in the center of clock face, with your belly button at 12 o'clock, your right hip at 3 o'clock, your butt at 6 o'clock.

My wife carries it about the 5:30 position, just above her right but cheek, she knows it a bit slow, but its faster than her LS60 .357 in her mama gunbag.

BTW, both of us loved "Cornered Cat" thank you for writing it.:)

Every shooter has his own opinion and what it boils down to is what works for you.

Over the years I have experimented with just about every possible way to carry and have done so with a variety of guns. I have a box full of useless holsters to show for my efforts.

My favorite shooting buddy swears by the S & W .357 magnum, strong side IWB carry. He has been carrying that way for many many years. I prefer strong side OWB in a high ride and almost always pack a Pro Carry 1911.

Both of us have, at times, tried SOB, Shoulder Holsters, Ankle Holsters, Cross Draw, ad infinitum. We found what works for us individually. In all likelihood, you will be destined to do your own experimentation and one day realize that you have joined the ranks that have a box of holsters that say, "What the hell was I thinking?"

So... how does spinal injury occur with SOB carry? I see this referenced here but have to wonder if it is something that happens in real life or just on the internet.

I say if it's comfortable for you, do it.

The risk of injury as a reason to avoid SOB carry may seem overplayed (and it likely is sometimes), but it is a risk. Depending on your lifestyle, it may be something you feel ok accepting, but you should do pros/cons. I remember one incident in particular where a guy who was carrying SOB was involved in a motorcycle wreck, ended up flipping over the handlebars and landing square on the gun, and had a pretty nasty spinal/pelvic injury. Like mentioned, the other issue for some people is sitting if full backed chairs or car seats. I only know a couple guys that carry there and they have to remove their gun and holster to drive for any significant distance.

In my lifetime I consider how many times I have fallen hard on my back. Well, maybe 6 times in over 40years. Each time I was not doing anything unusual, just normal tasks in public kinda stuff. If I had been carrying a handgun in the small of my back, it certainly could have caused me a spinal injury. 3 of the 6times I fell on my back it was hard enough to knock the wind out of me.

Back