I've seen the light!

Borf

Just got back from the gunshow, giddy as all hell with a S&W Model 19-4 (yes, it's quite used) in pretty good shape! 4" barrel, case hardened hammer & trigger. Pinned and recessed, hammer mounted firing pin. Nice walnut!

Now the Model 19 has been on my list for a while, but I've never owned or fired one. This has to be the best looking revolver ever made! It balances perfectly, it's smooth as anything I've ever held. It's small enough to pack and lighter than my GP-100. I'm somehow instantly in love with the thing... I've ... never... felt... this... way... about a *gun* before! :D

I'm just worried the GP-100 will never get touched again!

To all those that rant about the 19, I now understand ;)

Welcome to the Light Side, Borf.

It's always good to have another convert to the Cult of the Model 19.

I've been saying good things about the Model 19 for nearly 20 years now, since the time when I got to fire my first one.

It's been almost 10 years now since I got my first one, and it was rather quickly followed by another Model 19.

I need a 6" to complete the set, but in my mind, nothing will ever replace the Model 19 4" as the greatest single handgun ever designed.

My 4" Model 19 RB is not my most valuable handgun, but it'd be the last one I'd part with. The Model 19 is an all-time classic, one of the best-balanced and most attractive handguns of all time. With a 4" barrel, it is also the best "do-everything" handgun someone can own.

Borf. Welcome, glad you survived the journey through the forrest of lessers during your excape from Mundania. Be wary tho, they oft demonstrate a tendancy to replicate. Since they are so friendly to both left and right hands, sometimes they clone and you have pairs of identisal twins. Tis a tough chore tending a family of 19s but somebody has to do it. There are many variations of the 19 and they are all friendly.

I let a 19 sleep with a 36 for a while and they had an I frame litter.

Sam.....not nuts...........maby.

Bof,
Save the heavy-use of 125gr JHPs for the GP-100.

The K-frame S&W revolvers have a flat on the bottom of the barrel face (near the cylinder) to allow the yoke/crane to close.
With repeated 125gr JPH .357 Magnum use, that area of the barrel/forcing cone has a history of cracking.

Apparently even the factory is recommending only using the 158gr .357s or medium-velocity 125s in the K-frames.
(Of course, any .38 Special ammo within SAAMI limits is fine to use.)

The light (110 and 125gr) 357 Mag bullets accelerate faster out of the gate and smack the forcing cone area of the barrel with much greater force than the heavier bullets.

I don't go so far as to state that the K-frame is weak, it just wasn't built for the .357 Magnum and will wear faster with that type of use.

I do have K-frame .357's and I use lead and jacketed 158s; and I do use lead 125's, which are softer than jacketed and easier on the forcing cone.

That said, I don't mean to scare you, the M19 is an outstanding gun, just respect its limits and you'll have a quality sidearm you can pass on to the grankids.

:) -Kframe

Kframe makes a valid point. The .357 was born of veeeery hot .38 special loads that were best contained by rather massive revolvers of good quality. The N frame 38-44 being a good platform. Later, the venerable M&P was gussied up a bit and chambered for the .357mag. This resulted in a nice medium sized platform with good lines and quick handling. The 19 was never meant to use the barn burners. Occaisional use of modern (mild by comparison) .357 loads will do little harm.

Another point touched on by Kframe is the use of 125gr in the 19. At the time of the birth of the 19, bullets that light were rarely considered.

You have a treasure, treasure it and it will give you much pleasure.

Sam

The only better thing than having one S&W 19 (pre treason) is to have two of them. Congrats, My wife used to have one, the sweetest thing to handle lead.

I fondled the new Model 66 with the 3.2" barrel & the High Viz front site at a gun shop this week. I believe I like it better than my Model 66 - 4" barrel. The 3" barrel is just the right size & the green front sight really glowed (Doesn't work at night of course).

SWIRLING THOUGHTS (in funny colors)

I had a M67 that was simply amazing; glass-rod trigger, perfect heft and feel, easy-toting size and shape.

Why do I still prefer my GP100's and Redhawks?
Why oh why?

Many believe that the 4 inch M19 to be the KING but I prefer the 2 1/2 Nickel. SEX 'n Steel...dewey.....:D .........................:p

Thanks for all the input. Two questions:

While I realize I can't do a skeeter skelton imitation with this gun, I get the idea from you guys that a steady diet of full .357 loads (by "full" I mean today's full... i.e maybe 158gr @~1200-1300fps) will wear it out. Am I getting this right?

Secondly - serial is 36K4xxx. Can anybody help me with a manufacture date range?

Thanks guys

Borf, the 36K s/n puts it late 1978, early 1979.

Well, the 158gr 357s aren't supposed to be as hard on the gun as the 125s, but obviously the 158gr 357s will wear the piece faster than any .38 load.

It all depends on how much you shoot.
I think the following example would be "normal" use of the gun, without being abusive.

Shoot 100-150 .38s at the range, then maybe 24-36 158gr 357s, then go home and keep the gun stoked with the 357s for defensive use.
Repeat twice a month.

With that kind of use, and proper cleanup and maintenance, the gun would probably outlast you.

-Kframe

Lately I've got the jonesing for a 4" K-frame to keep my PC-13 company.

Maybe a 19, maybe a 13... A 65 or 66 might be cool, too.

Back