I've got to stay away from gun shows.

DAL

I attended my umpteenth gun show in the last 18 months or so yesterday and now I've discovered yet another type of pistol to lust for. Far from being a new design, it's actually quite an old idea. It's the 1911.

A 1911 won't be my next pistol, the CZ75BD gets that honor, but I WILL get one eventually. The one that put me over the edge was a Kimber Ultra Carry, but I doubt I'll get that model or even that brand. I think a full-size 1911 would be best for me, but I reserve the right to change my mind. After handling the Kimber UC, I started to handle other 1911s and I found myself really liking feel of them. Some makes felt better than others, but, in general, they were all quite satisfactory.

I'm leaning towards the high-end 1911s, with Wilson and Baer being strong contenders. But I won't know for sure until I'm ready to buy. That won't be until next year (at least) because I've also got a Robinson M96 Expeditionary rifle on the agenda for later this year, depending on my finances (I haven't done my taxes yet), and some professional training.

When will it ever end?
DAL

DAL,

I don't think it ever does end.:) Like you, I need to stop going to all the gun shows. Too many things to lust after.

I, too, have an M96 on my short list of stuff I -must- have. A CZ-97B in 45ACP is the next handgun. Then a CZ-75BD PCR, a Glock 19 (for the wife), a FAL........ it goes on and on. At this rate I think I've already got the next three years worth of purchases lined up.:D

Joe

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. After 4 or 5 gun shows with $300+ spent at each one, my wife won't let me take the check book along. Pretty soon, she's gonna figure out why our VISA bill is going up and that'll be the end of that. Next, I figure I'll just have my gun show buddy buy "it" and I'll pay him back - "Just some money I owe him, honey." Fortunately, she can't keep track of my guns and after awhile, "they all just look alike", so my new CZ can just be that "same old 9mm I've always had", as long as I don't get them all out at the same time. That would be DUMB!

But I love her just the same. Probably, she's just humoring me, since I'm approaching senility. ;)

Plainsman,

You have your problems with your wife. I have a different one. I bring something home, she looks at it, tests the balance and trigger, and says "Thank you". At least she lets me shoot them sometimes. Maybe that's why lately I've been buying a lot of N frames, the size and weight of most of those are out of her "prefered" group. Two K-22's I brought home got "appropriated". She is still making up her mind on the Kimber Ultra CDP and the 696. (she likes the guns, not fond of shooting them though - both recoil a bit more than she likes).

Here in Houston, we're spoiled as far as gun shows. There's one almost every weekend in the summer and at least once a month otherwise, and I too must resist the temptation to visit them. I go in with no money just to look around, and then I return after a vist to the ATM. There ALWAYS is something I need.

Back