• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

I've been getting DOZENS of "there seems to be..."

"a slight problem with our database" errors over the last 2 days.

Is anyone else getting this, or is it a problem with my configuration?

I recieved the alert via email this AM

*******************VIGLANTe SecureDispatch PARTNER ALERT*******************

******************US Systems at Risk From Chinese Hackers******************

The fallout from the recent US/Chinese spy plane incident goes far beyond the tension between our respective governments. Since early April, US hacktivists have launched a relentless assault on Chinese web servers with a steady stream of DoS attacks and defacements. Since Monday alone, there were 32 defacements of web sites with Chinese domain names.

Hackers in China have mobilized, and plan on striking US based web sites in retaliation. Already, several sites have been victimized, but the carnage expects to continue for the next several weeks. Your clients should be made aware of the potential risks to their infrastructure.

Read Articles:

{Dead links removed)

This only serves to emphasize the need for you and your clients to remain ever vigilant when it comes to Internet security. Organizations should regularly monitor their vulnerabilities, and address as many of them as possible. The more difficult it is for a hacker to enter a site, the more likely they'll move on to an easier target. VIGILANTe's services offer the capability to accurately assess an organization's security, and Security by Subscription means that you can easily maintain your client's requisite level of security.

VIGILANTe - Security by Assessment

The links no longer function so i removed them, and the wording is designed to "scare", more than inform so take it with a huge grain of salt. A DoS (denial of service) attack is a possibility to consider here. The chances of TFL being singled out are pretty slim, but if the errors continue a call to the upstream provider to monitor the connection might not be a bad idea.

from the T1 at work i had really poor connection last week
but the 56k modem to AOL soldiered right thru

me thinks there is a Dulles VA routing issue

dZ

The only "hacker" that's had access to TFL in the past week is sitting in my chair. Lord knows, that's damage enough!
Rich
If that were true, your name would be spelled: ®1©H LÜ¢ïßELL@ ;)

Back