it's finally in my hands

BOLANTEJ

i just picked up my ruger .30 carbine blackhawk after waiting for ten days. it is so clean and so purty. i cannot wait to shoot it. i do have a question though: this caliber should be okay in an indoor range out of a handgun, right? thanks.

Glad to hear it. I bought one myself a couple weeks ago. I had a thread going about it, but it died out.
I have no idea what the regulations are at the indoor range you use, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.
My was used and it was a POS. I sent it back to the factory. I can't wait to get it back. I ordered the dies and some bullets. Do a search and check out some of the other threads about the .30 Carbine Blackhawk.

The .30 carbine is LOUD in a Blackhawk. Lots of flash too. Don't know what the regs are at an indoor range but you'll definately get some strange looks when that mule starts kickin'. :)

i'll check it out

sorry to hear yours is a pos. let us know when you get it back. callahan: that's what i'm hoping for. p.s. can't wait until the "other" forum is open. my daily ritual has been interrupted. :(
i'll post once i take it out. would've today, but i've been sick. see ya.

I would use ear plus AND muffs as it's twice as loud as a .44MAG, well....it has a bigger 'crack' to it....dewey

thank you all

i called them last night to make sure before i made the drive.they said out of a revolver it's okay. i should go tonight. i will let y'all know what i think.

Well, my gun was sent out last Friday. Who knows how long that will take, but I have read various threads that indicate it could be a very short time.
Today I picked up some goodies for it. I got a set of super nice rosewood grips I ordered, a steel ejector rod housing, an oversided base pin, a Bowen rear sight, five boxes of Hornady and Sierra bullets, a set of Redding dies, and a Lee carbide sizing die. Now I can begin reloading the few hundred brass that I have in anticipation of recieving the gun back from Ruger.

thanks for the link cougar

so, are those the mods i should make for mine? now, i have another question. the pin holding the cylinder in...that is the basepin, right? okay, mine cannot be removed all of the way. is this how they are designed? i was frustrated since my sbh's pin comes out completely. thanks again.

Yes, that is the base pin. In order to get it out you have to remove the ejector rod housing. There is only one screw. Becareful when you remove it because there is a spring in there (you can easily see it).
After getting the steel ejector rod housing I decided that it was a waste.
I like the Bowen rear sight alot. I got it because the rear sight on my .357 Blackhawk appeared to be tilted to the left and I couldn't get it not to do that. I think now I will buy at least one more set of Bowen rear sights.
I bought the Belt Mountain "Sheriffs Model" base pin for my .30 Carb. This pin is shorter than the stock pin so it doesn't stop the ejector rod from knocking the brass clear out of the gun. These pins are larger diameter than the stock pin thus eliminating some of the cylinder play.

thnaks i was going crazy for a second there.

will wait to shoot it beofre any mods. well, maybe a nice set of grips.....:D

very nice.

the rosewood made me drool on my keyboard. very attractive grips. i think i'm gonna havfta order from them. have you? would like to know if they look as good in person as they do on their website. thanks!

Yes, I ordered a pair of the walnut ones. They were in my hands in two days. I have bought a lot of aftermarket grips in the past, nothing real expensive just the mass produced stuff. Anyway, these impressed me. They look very well made, comfortable, well thought out, bigger than the stock grips but not too big so that they make it a pain to carry. I like them so much I couldn't wait for my .30 Carbine to get back from Ruger so I put them on my .357 Blackhawk. So I then had to order a second pair in rosewood for my .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Got those in two days also. I am very happy with them. One ironic thing. They seem to have certain grips on sale. When I first decided to order I wanted the Walnut and they were on sale. When I decided to get a second pair in rosewood, the rosewood were on sale.

lucky dog.

wow. great wait time. i think i'll go rosewood (maybe ebony for my sbh) also. maybe when i order they will be on sale also. if not, oh well...it's worth beautifying my babys. gonna slap some rouge on my wheel and shine up the sbh next. :cool: see ya around...

I have a set of Hogues on my SBH that look a lot like the grips we are talking about except they are bigger. They feel great in your hands and recoil isn't an issue. But, the are so freakin big that it is a pain to carry. I have two full flap holsters for my blackhawks. Obviously I am not going to carry these concealed or try to fast draw them, so I got a holster that gives max. protection to the gun. On my SBH, the grip sticks clear out of the holster, so everytime I sit down, the grip is scraping on a rock or something. You get the idea. These grips we are talking about feel and look very similar only make the package more practical for use off the range.

By the way, I loaded some ammo for my .30 Carbine the other day. I only had about 140 brass. I loaded 50 85 grain Sierra softpoints which I am hoping will give me over 2000 fps. They are listed in the manual at almost 2500 out of a rifle. Then I loaded 50 Hornady 100 grain semi-jacketed bullets. These are unusual bullets. The bottom of the bullet is jacketed, but the top half of the bullet is very soft lead. It would be like having a gas check that covers the whole bottom half of the bullet. These should go about 1500 fps. Finally I loaded the other 40 brass with Sierra 110 grain Varmiteer hollow points. These look like regular spitzer rifle bullets only it looks like the top 1/4 of the jacket is empty. The tech support guy from Sierra says that these will expand at handgun velocities. I used one of Paco Kelley's loads from sixgunner.com which he says will give me around 1800 fps. Friday I ordered 500 new brass, a die to trim .30 Carbine cases and some more bullets. All I need is the gun back.
Bill Ruger; if you are reading this, send me my gun back so I can shoot.

Back