"It's ALIVE! I tell you, ALIVE! (V 2.0)

wogpotter

Snagged this earlier this week.

DSCF1005_zpsabb3bc08.jpg

Its going on here to give me a ladder micrometer adjustable peep sight for elevation & windage.

DSCF9525_zps1c4d6b10.jpg

Offering it up before fitting it looks surprisingly nice. Stay tuned. The carbine has a plastic forend cap & rubber ventilated butt pad so I'm not too concerned with "PC" or "HC" accuracy. Its going to end up as "Bubba's mini Sharps".:D

Last edited:
Oh, Lordy! Is that a rear sight from a .22 No. 5 Trials Rifle????

Any chance you could "snag" another?:D

Last edited:
Its from a .22 RF Mauser training rifle.
SARCO was selling them & they have a few left.

Trade for a nice Lyman? Sure why not (as long as it fits & zeroes on a CVA carbine):D

That's no Mauser sight; I looked it up in Skennerton's book, and it's a dead ringer for a .22 No. 5 Trials Rifle sight. I think you stumbled onto a very rare sight for the Lee-Enfield collector. Serial numbers for that gun run between(T1)0001 and (T1)0102. LOLL!!!

Last edited:
Amazing how we've rediscovered the glory of old stuff. I wanted a ladder sight for my 10/22 (the one with the flintlock stock and brass trigger guard) and shucked out $65 bucks for a new one from Shiloh Rifle. I could not find a used ladder sight cheap.

How was it listed? I just sent to Sarco's website and couldn't find anything under ".22 RF Mauser training rifle."

Last edited:
It was attached right in the sealed baggie!
There were just 3 more left in the bin when I was there last week, if you want one grab it quick.
I think SARCO fluffed the ad quite a bit when they posted it.:rolleyes:

It's not a P-H sight, its a P-H eyepiece on a Fazakerly sight.
It's not for a Lee-Enfield at all but a P-H rifle which is a Mauser action.

Even the InterWeb "experts" got it wrong, saying it was from a ".22 Trainer" when it was a 7.62 NATO caliber!

Here's the real deal.
Take a Mk1 Lee-Enfield sight.
Drill & tap the base for a threaded pivot & add a nice click-stopped knob & threaded shaft, so it can adjust for windage.
Drill a second set of click detents for the elevation so the click stops are twice as fine.
Drill & tap the elevator for a standard P-H eyepiece can be attached & screw one in with a spacer.
Replace the spring plunger shaft with a hollow one & use a smaller diameter spring.
Make an adapter plate for the Mauser-style flat top receiver.
Re-blue the rear face of the ladder to subdue the .303 elevation settings.
make a second elevation table on the left side to reflect 7.62 settings & the different mounting height on the L81. Remove the blue so it shows up better.
Mill off the battle sight, make an index for windage in it's place.
Drill & tap a small threaded hole in the base & use a screw to attach a sliding windage plate.

Sell it for 75 bucks as a fantasy piece!:D

Well, that was a surprise:eek:
I'd figured out I would have to inlet the base to get a zero, turns out I need to make a riser:p

Prototyping the mount to allow a zero, fold down allows the use of the factory "short range" sight & clearing the side-lock hammer. Yeah I know, looks like hell, its just to get riser dimensions then I'll build some nice stained wood as a riser for permanent attachment.:)
DSCF1018_zps6141cce2.jpg

Good work...

But I'd get a block of wood or aluminum, drill it and inlet it to the stock. It'll make your adaptation look a lot cleaner.

Back