Ithaca SxS help

BrownTrout

Hi, I'm needing a little help regarding an older SxS that I just purchased.

It is an Ithaca 12 ga double. Serial # is in the 150xxx range, which I believe makes it a "Minier" model, made 1907.

It is in pretty rough shape, missing the forend. It has a buttstock, but obviously from a different gun.

A few questions:
1. The ad stated the gun has 2 3/4" chambers. Is this true?
2. Does this have any value whatsoever? I paid $73 for it, and was planning to use it as a project, but I don't want to ruin a valuable gun.
3. Does anyone know of different stocks that may fit the "Minier" model? For instance, will a Flues buttstock fit?

FWIW, even if it were in mint condition, it should not be shot with ANY modern shotshells, period - even so called "low brass", "field" or "Target" loads.

The reason is that in 1926, all the ammo companies upgraded their shotshell loadings - causing even Ithaca to discontinue the Flues Model & introduce the much stronger NID Model.

It should not be shot at all, until a qualified double gunsmith checks it out as OK (not some AR parts-changer).

Whether it's for a project or "as-is", if it checks out as okey to shoot - proper, low-pressure ammo for these old guns is readily available from the likes of RST, PolyWad, Kent Cartridge, & GameBore.

Back