Ithaca Model 37, Failure to Eject

hopeinvalor

Inactive
Howdie all, has anyone experienced a failure to eject in an Ithaca Model 37? I have a newly manufactured (Illinois plant) Ithaca 37 Home Defense, 20 inch barrel, extended magazine, synthetic furniture.

I am under the impression that because of my height/size (5'4", 16 neck, 32/33 sleeve) I am short stroking the action. It seems that if I work the action while the shotgun is shouldered, it does not always eject. However the next round will attempt to load, creating a jam. The length of pull on this setup is over 14 inches, nearly 15.

An older wood stocked Ithaca 37 (NY manufactured) does not experience this problem. The stock is also much more comfortable to shoot.

Shy of replacing the synthetic stock with a properly sized wood one . . . . It would be expensive, but if it will fix the problem, I'd budget it in.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to TFL !

FYI, Ithaca Model 37's have been subject to short-stroke jamming ever since I can remember (I've only been using guns for about 55 years) - and I would presume the new manufactired M37 on the same design would be the same.

The only cure I'm aware of would be to do whatever it takes to ensure you consentrate on fully stroking/cycling the action - which may entail altering the buttstock for a shorter LOP (length-of-pull).

Thank you. That's what I thought. Guess I'll either learn how to fit a wood stock purchased from Boyd's or get a Choate Youth stock which has an 11-3/4 inch LOP. 60 bucks for a choate seems to be much simpler. Try explaining to my wife the new lathe, the new belt sander and a new bandsaw in the garage might not go over so well. . . . "you see honey, what had happened was. . . ."

Actually they are here in Ohio, in Upper Sandusky, about 90 miles from my house. I have been on a tour of their plant, met the employees and management, had dinner with them during the Ithaca Gathering. They are a decent group of people.

There were some that got out the door that had issues and the problem was subsequently corrected.

Sometimes they need tweaked and over on the Ithaca devoted forums, occassionally folks with the new guns ask about malfunctions and the answer is always the same.

Call the Ithaca plant, their number is on the website, ask to talk to Zack and if Zack is not there on the day you call, talk to Jeremiah.

www.ithacagun.com

take a couple FIRED shells so that you are not playing with live ammo. If you have a reloader (or an acquaintance does) crimp up some dummy rounds.

If not, cut the front off. They you can work with the gun in the house and while on the phone (if need be) in complete safety.

This is the technique I use when working on 37'. I build and restore these for myself and have encountered some timing issues such as this that a tweak of the mechanism will fix.

As far as short stroking a 37 to release the next shell, the bolt carrier slide absolutely has to get far enough back into the receiver to cam the right and left side (spring and fixed) shell stops. Has to. They are simply a mechanical cam. If the bolt is not grabbing the shell and letting it hang, then there is a problem, possibly a weak extractor spring, or a too tight chamber, etc.

As I said, before you blame yourself or the gun, call them.

Back