Ithaca Mag 10

BeakSmasher

Inactive
I love my mag 10s, and so far have not meet anyone who owns one and doesn't love it. Just wanna know what any of you 10 gauge junkies think about them? Also I have only seen with factory chokes? Had anyone else?

It has been a long time now, but my main memory of them is that some of them tended to break parts, often repeatedly. Remington bought the design and was two years reworking it before they released their version. Some of them did not seem to have a problem. Out of those I sold I'd guess about half had issues. I thought they had Ithaca choke tubes. The only other people making a 10 back then were Browning, and the tubes were different. I don't know if the Remington tubes interchange.

I had one Ithaca Roadblocker in for repair back in the 80s, and I don't even remember what the problem was. What I do remember is test firing it and finding the recoil to be "somewhat" unpleasant.

I have heard of the buffer on the rear of the bolt breaking when being fired in the cold. Once the buffer breaks and your bolt hits the receiver your foreign pin can break. I have never seen or had this problem personally, and the sp10 design still has it. I just thought it was interesting that of the 15 or so mag 10s I have come across only one had a choke tube, all others were fixed choke.

Yes, I did see a couple of broken buffers, but they had not been in the cold. There were a couple of other parts that failed but the specific memory escapes me.
I don't remember at what point they went to choke tubes. I know their popularity took off for a while due to the downright lousy early steel shotshell loads. I had one briefly, and I had no problems, and then went to three successive BPSs. They were all just too heavy to handle well for me, and I was a big guy. The last BPS I machined about 2 pounds off and it was world's better, and then tungsten came along and I went back to a 3" 12.
But, there is nothing like a 10 gauge for big birds with steel shot.

Yeah it's a monster. I tried looking for one, to have around as a house gun. The roadblockers are pretty few and far between. So I put a mag tube extension on my beretta a391 and called it a tour.

Back