Ithaca M37 Deerslayer 2

Based on patents by John M Browning,it's one of the classics. Durable,smooth in operation and lightweight, it's a shotgun for several generations.

Downside, not much in the way of accessories, but it needs few....

I am an unfailingly devoted Ithaca Fan. I will say that it has features that make it a bit difficult for some situations which I'll explain here.

1) There is no "loading port" as on your 870 style guns. By that, I mean you have to load the shells into the magazine and then cycle them into the chamber. This means Trap and Skeet involve a few more steps and a little more forethought.

2) The DSII will lower the hammer on a chambered round when you hold the trigger down while cycling the gun. On older guns, it will discharge if pressure is kept on the trigger while cycling. IMHO, this is a virtue for a self-defense gun with proper training. The DSII requires that you remove your finger from the trigger before cycling or you might not get that follow-up shot.

3) Being a lightweight gun, it kicks harder.

That having been said, the vrirtues of the gun are tremendous. Because the barrel is fixed and free-floated, you get excellent accuracy. The solid receiver is weatherproof and great for lefties as it ejects downwards. I'd love a stainless steel version myself.

Ditto Badgerarms. Outstanding weapon in all respects. I have a DSPS featherweight that I wouldnt take anything for. Great guns.

Of the slug barreled shotguns I have seen
(Rem, Win. Mossy, and Ithacas) the Ithacas always shot far and away better than everything else. Buy one and you won't be disapointed
CS

I'm a little late with this comment about the M37, but I think that it holds as much weight as the previous ones. Yet another reason why I like the Ithaca's 'Down' Eject is that you have additional protection of the bolt and action.

Let me explain. Where we do a majority of our hunting in the woods of Vermont, there is a lot of dense scrubs and underbrush that we have to get through to get to what ever it is that we are going after. Be it Woodcock, Partridge, Turkey, Squirrel, Deer, Bear or whatever. Also, bad weather comes into the picture too, and I feel that an exposed ejection port (ala Win/Rem/Moss/et al) places you at a disadvantage. Things can't fall into your action - even when open.

So this - along with all the other reasons are reason enough for me to stay Ithaca.

Another nice feature (God, I love these guns!) is the fact you can switch barrels. For a little less than $200.00 you have a Turkey setup with extended choke if you like. Versatility is the name of the game.

Frenchy

------------------
Donnez-moi la liberté, ou donnez-moi la mort!

I have an Ithaca 37 I love, though not the Deerslayer model. In re: the interchangeable barrels. I've always used mine for duck and goose hunting, but it would be cool to have a short barrel (and maybe an extended magazine) I could put on for home defense. Does anyone know of a source for such things?

Back