Ithaca Deerslayer II or III

Clevinger

Who here has experience with either of them?

Are they awesome?

Why is there so little written about them in these forums?

DSII%2012GA%20Web.jpg

Deerslayer3Upgraded%20Wood_1_950.jpg

The origial deer slayers were very good guns , The new one are suppose to be even better , if you watch the video ithica has on their web site .

I've seen their video. It's a good video.

Their guns are beautiful and the few reviews out there speak well of them.

Yet, I don't know anyone who owns one and even on a popular shotgun forum like this there is a paucity of information about them.

I would suggest not that many people are willing to pony up the bucks just for a slug gun when there are several much cheaper alternatives. There are a bunch of Ithaca devotees relative to the field guns.

I have 2 of the original fixed barrel / rifled ones that were named Model 87 Deerslayers. They are fundamentally Deerslayer II's due to their barrel size.

Model 87 Ithacas are simply Model 37 Ithacas when Ithaca Gun Company was under a different ownership and the refer to the year 1987. The name was changed back when ownership changed again.

Since they are at the back of the safe, I can't look to say exactly what is engraved on the barrel.

My 2 Deerslayers are very easy to carry and handle and shoot just like a "pump-action" rifle.

The III's are too heavy to carry as a "stalking gun" unless your name is Bwana Bill and you have someone to tote it around for you and hand it to you when a deer appears.

Here in Ohio we are only allowed shotguns to hunt deer with. I have both guns scoped with 2.5 x 7 scopes. Both guns have harvested deer and are extremely accurate.

I got mine back when the price was reasonable. If you haunt the pawnshops and small gunshops, they will occassionally pop up in the 300 to 400 dollar range.

I have a Deerslayer II with I believe a 25" fixed barrel. It sports a compact
3x9x40mm scope. It is very accurate and will shoot 1-1/2" groups @ 100 yds. (if I do my part) with "standard velocity" Federal sabots. I have taken a deer at 140 long paces with this setup. I would never sell it... The only change I made to it was replacing the deluxe pump/slide handle (forearm) with a corncob style.

One of mine looks like this one, polished blue, shiney stock finish. The other has "matte" finished wood and is parkerized. Both of course have the Monte Carlo stocks and fixed rifled barrels.

As the poster above stated, they will both easily hold 1.5 to 2.0 in groups at 100.

406235985.jpg

It has been said there are cheaper guns out there, BUT the kicker is after you spend the money's to make them shoot as well as a Ithaca, you just as well buy the Ithaca.

The other makers do not have a fix barresl so the barrels have to be "pinned" in place.

Recievers are not drilled for scope mounts, yes there are mounts cantilevered to the barrels but they are flimsy and move around.

The Ithaca's are more accurate due to the free floating barrels.

They are made in Ohio and you can go up to their factory and get them fit to you. I am acquainted with a few people have made the trip(an expensive one I will add). They are ALL very happy with what they bought. I wasn't sure I would spend the extra money, but I am always looking for them used.

Back