Ithaca 37

Clint Tickler

Just bought a Ithaca 37, serial 506###-4. Anyone tell me about the age of this gun? Serial number is on the barrel rather then the reciever which makes me think it doesn't come off as easy as my 870 or Browning 2000. The barrel says full but it's got a "Poly-Matic' variable choke that says Mod, Lock, and Full. Anyone know anything about this shotgun. It looks to be in pretty good condition and I paid 150. Thanks.

ithaca

Clint, I just looked it up on the Ithaca site and your gun was made in 1953. I just bought a 1955 ithaca a couple weeks ago. Sweetest shotgun I ever held. JD

The Serial number for the gun should be on the front of the receiver and should match your barrel number. Your gun is also a 'slam-fire' gun which means you should be careful to release the trigger before cycling the gun as it will fire on closing otherwise. You got a great deal. Enjoy.

The barrel should come off very easily. Open the action, screw the mag tube cap in a little, then rotate the barrel about 90 degrees. It should then pull straight out.

Thanks again Harly. It's amazing what reading the instructions will do. Still wondering about this variable "Poly-Matic" choke. Also thanks to the other hint to look on the front of the reciever for the serial number. It matches the barrel.

Back