Ithaca 37 Muzzle Damage

Badger Arms

Hello. My Ithaca 37 was damaged in shipping. the muzzle hit the pavement after FEDEX dropped the box. It dented the muzzle in. Pictures are available at www.geocities.com/asams10/pictures
How can the damage be repaired without refinishing the gun. I'm thinking there is a mandrel of some sort to straighten the dent out and then truing up the muzzle. Any ideas?

Aaron

If I'm reading this corectly and if the stock damage in the photos was also a result of FedEx's mishandeling it appears to me they owe you a new scattergun!

------------------
Gunslinger

What gunslinger says.They had better!

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

Unfortunately, you cannot buy a parkerized riot Ithaca 37 anymore. I just want a working gun, and yes, they do owe me full replacement value. Bummer to ruin such a good gun though.

Make them replace it and have the old one repaired. Was that in a plane crash or did they drop it off a 4 story building? 37's are too sweet to screw up like that.

Badger, you have at least 3 options here. 1) a smith can make a tapered mandrel to straighten the dent or 2) A smith could face off the damaged area and 3) Brownells, www.brownells.com sells a shotgun muzzle facing tool that you could use to face off the muzzle to get rid of the damaged area. Either way FedEx I'm sure will pay the bill. But I wouldn't expect them to give you a new gun. George

I think I'll go the way of the mandrel. I could get a local machine shop to do the work for me instead of a smith... they cost more. All it it takes is a few minutes on the lathe. I don't want to face it off too much because the magazine is RIGHT there. I'll buy the facing tool and get a tapered cone made to force through the barrel. Might regulate it a little but it's not a slug gun anyhow. Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of that.

I've got a few spares actually. I'm going to use bailing wire and cardboard to close the split on some epoxy. Then I'll refinish it and keep it for a spare. I've got a gun that spent a few weeks in the rain that I had parkerized. The stock was toast on that one. Should work well on it. I do know that Brownells sells stocks for it but I don't need a new one.

Back