Ithaca 37 extraction problem

OTIS

Shot my new to me Deerslayer last week and found that a certain batch of old Remington Peters shells would not eject. I needed a screwdriver to get them out of the chamber and noticed the brass was slightly bulged. It didn't take a whole lot of pressure to remove the spent shells. The gun was made in the 70's and doesn't appear to have been shot much at all. There wasn't any problem with other ammo. Should I consider replacing the extractor spring or is this situation normal for old shotshells? Also I understand that the older Ithacas would "slam fire" if the trigger is held each time it's pumped due to lack of a diconnector. Mine doesn't, but no big deal I guess. I'm thinking about replacing the hammer and firing pin springs also. Is it common for springs to loose their tension over time in this particular brand of firearm?

Otis, since it only happened with the old ammo I'd blame it. The extractor claws will wear before the springs give out. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens with other ammo. George

Back