Ithaca 1911A1

roguetwelve12

Hi again all,

I hate to do this to you, but I have a SN range question. I have an Ithaca SN 12708XX that I'm having difficulty ascertaining a proper year for. Clawsons puts it in the "1943-1944" range leaning heavily towards 1944. Standard Catalog of Military Firearms has it as a 1943. The floor of the barrel chamber has the flaming bomb symbol typical of 1943 production, but the back of the slide does NOT have the same symbol you'd expect in a 1943 slide. Receiver does have the correct FJA mark.

Top of the receiver is unmarked (is this correct?).

Other side question... I know the Ithaca's typically have markings on the left triggerguard of various symbols denoting factory inspection marks, but this particular gun does not (it does have a "4" on the upper right triggerguard).

My thought is this might be a late 1943 Ithaca receiver with a 1944 Ithaca slide? I'd really love to hear anybody's thoughts.

I'm no expert, but I do know that any combination of slide, frame, and other parts is possible, and can still be "historically correct". 1911s with 1911A1 parts, and any combination of one makers slide and another maker's frame, etc. is possible.

I have done it myself in Army shops. As long as the gun was complete, and functioned when put back together, that's all that mattered.

Back