Itching to hold a new Red label

mattL46

Well I went to the Local Dicks in the area today. No new Red Labels. Ive been strongly considering purchasing one. Cant decide on new or used. There are no real savings over used considering the research ive done shows only a few below 1000. Did see one for about 800 though. Don't remember which site. If it were you...Would you go new...or used?

I'd go with something else completely until others have successfully beta-tested this version of what was a failure the first time around

Oh yeah, in any event I sure as hell wouldn't buy a gun from Dick's

I looked at one this past weekend. Was on sale for only $999. Fit and finishe looked to be about on par with most other $600-700 o/u's.

@BigD Good advice on the testing. And for the record ive only ever purchased two firearms from big ticket stores they were the first two id ever purchased once I was old enough. They were also the last ones. The others ive acquired over the years were from family or used on a local shelf. ;) It sure as hell wasn't dicks either. Ha. Note the title of the post said "Hold a Red Label" Dicks has only been here a year or so and im not a fan. At all. Ill buy/order one from an individual or a small time dealer.

I might add. My dad had a 20 Gauge Red Label. I disagree with a lot of the criticism of the past. That was a beautiful well made gun. He sold it and I still miss it to this day. I grew up on that Shotgun. Ive no experience with the other gauges. I will say...the 20 (Atleast his specimen) Did NOT have the issues the red label had been condemned for.

Talk to Slugo, he got one.
All the testimonials in the world will not erase the multiple problems that many people experienced with the first generation Red Labels. I hope they solved them with the new one. A lot of people seem to be dying to get one. I do have several Rugers and I like them in spite of old Bill's mistaken belief that you can deal rationally with liberals.

Matt - I owned the 28 gauge on the 28 frame. THAT was the one they supposedly got right. it was going to be my go-to chukar gun. After three trips back to Ruger within the first 6 months to get fixed (and it wasn't) it went bye-bye...........just so you can understand my skepticism about this one.

Hey I totally understand big D. I'm just saying. My love for the red label goes way back. I'm not saying they didn't have problems. I know they did and its unfortunate. But I think for the most part it was still a quality product. Your case is definitely understandable. Can't say Iwwouldn't have parted with it either. I guess I grew up ( literally ) around a flawless specimen. I can't tell you when it was made although it was older than I am which means it was pushing or over 30. Maybe that was after the first initial let down. It did its job and did it well. Was not unbalanced. It ejected every time. It fired every time. The safety/selector worked. It was a great gun. I think I will wait. Or I'll buy an older 20 gauge and hope it is as good as the last one.

old red labels do not have the best reputation. I've held the new one. its not quite as beautiful as ruger makes them out to be but my initial handling shows that it is just as smooth to operate as my father's browning citori. the one I handed was just under $1000 which was nice considering the MSRP is 1300 but I would still have trouble convincing myself to go with a red label at that price. now if it was the quoted $800 then this shotgun begins to look more attractive than heidi klum after youve been out to sea for a year.

Tahuana no doubt they had a bad reputation. Although I asked my dad when he purchased his. Said it was in 78 he thought. So he must have got a good one. Im not sure which route I'lltake . New or used. Like I said earlier. Haven't found a huge price diff. Big D what went wrong with yours anyhow?

The extractors kept slipping over the rim of the ammo, no matter what brand. Ruger replaced ALL of the internals on the entire gun - three times - so I am not bashing them for trying to do the right thing - they just couldn't make it happen. There was just something a out the design and/or their casting process that had a flaw somewhere. SO, for ME, it is the "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" syndrome with them

here's mine! Just picked it up yesterday and put a box of ammo through it today. The revised version is a winner--longer forcing cones, back-bored, lighter barrels, better balance. $1399 retail, I got mine for $1150 delivered. We finally found a reasonably priced O/U which the noobs are always asking for. Is it a Browning or Beretta, no, but it's 10 times better than any Turkish made gun.

Here's some photos, take a look... :)

11345919894_38d084238a_b.jpg

11345929644_403db3481f_b.jpg

11345965383_634d6c18a3_b.jpg

11345836435_031be8c5d0_b.jpg

unfortunately, the gun does have an auto-safety, but Ruger will convert it to a manual-safety for $70 bucks and still maintain the gun's warranty. It's not as easy a conversion as some people think.

Back