Itching for a new gun

gizmo688

Hey guys. I'm looking for any recommendations on battle style rifles to add to my collection. Currently, the only milsurp I have is my M1 Garand. I LOVE the thing, and reloading ammo for it adds to the satisfaction of shooting it!

In researching different rifles, I've noticed many are chambered for odd cartridge sizes. I know I can go online and purchase plenty of surplus ammo in bulk, but I don't want to run into ammo shortages in the future. "7.62×54" doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling that causes me to blow through 200 rounds in an hour. There's just something reassuring about knowing the .30 cal will be around for awhile. If my ammo worries are unfounded, let me know.

All that said, I'm not looking for something too extravagant. Something surplus along the lines of a Mosin, SKS, or 1903.

-I've also toyed with getting my first pistol (Rock Island Armory 1911 tactical) but I'll worry about that another day...

Halfway through your post, the Lee Enfield came to mind. I have no clue what ammo availability is like for the .303.

On the other hand, everyone should have at least one pistol. Why not start now?

A $100 bill will get you a nice Mosin-Nagant rifle, $200 a nice M44 Mosin-Nagant carbine, $300 a good SKS, and from there you're on your own. A good M1 carbine is a must-have, same with the 1903 and 1903A3. Pick up a good German K98 when you can get one, can't go wrong there, and for sure the Lee-Enfields, both WWI and WWII.

You can find good ammo for all this stuff, it's being made fresh, and if you like to reload, stock up on brass and there you are.

I'd try the M1 carbine first, they tend to disappear quickly, but so do the Mausers, Lee-Enfields, and any other US service rifle.

I must have been living under a rock since about 2003 when it comes to C&R. $200 for a M44? I got the whole collection of M44s: Romanian, Russian, E.Ger, Hungarian, Polish, Chinese. I don't think any one of them cost me more than $80.

Last I checked about 2005, you couldn't give away a Russian M44 for $79..... things change that much?

Last I checked about 2005, you couldn't give away a Russian M44 for $79..... things change that much?

Yes, the supply has run dry. $200 is a little steep even by today's standards, but there are retailers that do list them for that price, I just don't know how well they sell. $150-180 isn't uncommon for an M44 these days, however.

With the quantity of 7.62X54 ammo available from different sources I doubt it will run out or have shortages Winchester is again making 7.62X54, Priv Partzan also they have reloadable cases and you can use a .308 bullet an get the same accuracy, with reloads
Mace

Happiness is a belt fed weapon and lots of ammo.

I like the 7.62x54R. And the Mosins are a great buy.
One of my favorite surplus rifles is my Ishapore 2A. Its an Indian made Enfield copy chambered in and built for the .308. Ten round mags, good iron sights, and a nice smooth action. I love the 2A.

Looks like the milsurp rifle will have to wait. I found a Springfield 1911 loaded for $625 and jumped on it. A little more than I wanted to spend, but considering what I'll be shooting, I think it was a deal.

I appreciate the responses. I like the idea of a Mosin if the ammo will be around for awhile. Whats the big deal with the hex receiver? Is it that much better?

I have really enjoyed my lil Chinese SKS and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one as a fun plinking rifle with a fair amount of aftermarket options (if you want to change it up, looks nice in stock form). The ammo is cheap & available, and there is ammo available for hunting.

"7.62×54" doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling that causes me to blow through 200 rounds in an hour. There's just something reassuring about knowing the .30 cal will be around for awhile. If my ammo worries are unfounded, let me know
I would love to watch someone blow through 200 round in a hour with a Mosin. Ammo is plentyfull for the 7.62x54r.
Out of curiosity how much shooting are you planning on doing with your C&R guns?

Howzabout a k31? :D

fulldress-1.jpg

Or a 1911sr?

1911sr.jpg

Latigo

I'm loving all these suggestions. Definitely keeping a list handy.

Im going to assume the Madsen was made after the Mosin Nagant and that the the designer of the Madsen handled many Mosins. They look very similar. Almost like putting a Springfield XD9 right next to a Glock 19.

How much do I shoot? Well I try to take the Garand out once a month and spend a few hours with it. I really never shoot out of the clip because the brass ends up everywhere. Its much easier to find when I load each cartridge individually. Everything ends up sitting near 3 or 4 oclock. Ive also taken my Garand deer hunting several times. Its a yatch to carry around, but the weight just makes it more steady in my hands when im aiming.

When it comes to ammo availability, I don't see any problems obtaining just about any ammo for rifles you mentioned. 7.62x54 will be available in the future because there are so many firearms chambered in that. If the surplus dries up, you will probably see as much domestic production of 7.62x54 as you will see in 30-06. At most gunshows, I see more 7.62x54 than I do 30-06 and cheaper to boot!
.303 is a perfect example as to what happens when the surplus dries up. Domestic as well as imported ammo manufacturers will produce the round and make it about the same price as any other round. Why? Because there are plenty of us who hunt and target shoot with Enfields.

Back