Italian gun maker fined $11 million

Smokepole

Inactive
ABC news has reported an Italian gun maker was fined $11 million by a federal judge in New Orleans to a paralized man.Peter(the idiot) Jennings said a man (no name given) was paralized when he dropped his gun and it fired hitting him in the neck(no type of firearm or name of company was mentioned just Italian gun maker.The judges comments were something like (the gun mfg's should have made the gun safer with the knowledge that someone would drop it.Has anybody heard of this, the report was maybe all of 10 seconds.

Yes I heard it..but didn't catch the manufacturer...Beretta maybe?

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

More likely Tangafolio (spelling?). I figure if it was Beretta it would have been splattered all over the news. The sad part is that Jennings segwayed the piece by mentioning the previous nights report on safety locks. The implication was, to the uninformed masses, that a safety lock might have prevented the tragedy - duh.

The company was Fratelli Tanfoglio S.R.L. and the pistol was a .25. The judge found that the firing pin was too long, making it almost certain for the gun to fire if dropped on the hammer. I don't know if it was a faulty design or a manufacturing screw up.

[This message has been edited by EOD Guy (edited February 27, 1999).]

I live just outside New Orleans, so there was a little more press about this case in the local paper.
The company was Fratelli Tanfoglio. The firearm involved was a .25 that fell out of the plaintiff's pocket as he was moving into a new home. The gun went off when it hit the ground due to "a defective firing pin" that was somehow "too long". The bullet entered the plaintiff's neck and he has been paralyzed from the neck down since the accident in 1992.
While the plaintiff's lawyer and the gun control crowd have been making a lot of noise about the 10.8 million dollar award, they failed to point out that Tanfoglio didn't even bother to defend itself in the case or appeal the decision against them. Pretty much everyone involved has acknowledged that unless the gunmaker is sued in Italy, there is no chance that that the plaintiff will ever see a dime of that money.

I have to wonder if the Clinton crowd will put pressure on Italy, to force the company to pay? Seems like this is a ripe opportunity for Clintons 'New World Order', where the UN reigns supreme. Plus a payback to the gun control crowd for all their support.

Any thoughts?

------------------
Freedom is not Free

ATM..

Thats an interesting thought, I'd like to see him try. Seems like the only legal course is to ban importations from Tanfoglio until they pony up.
If he tries to force the issue thru the UN that would open up a serious can of worms. Trust me, guineas don't like being pushed around, capishe? ;)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

we are in no position to get any thing from the itailians remember the marine pilot and teh gondola?they are still kinda mad about that. they will never see the money

Okay -

Lets try this one on: Can they freeze all Tanfoglio assets currently in country, and auction them for the proceeds? This is still a state crime right? not a federal one yet? so I think the answer is no.

I just do not trust New Orleans or Clinton, I guess.

------------------
Freedom is not Free

I don't think Clinton or New Orleans will be able to do very much about it. This accident occurred in 1992! It's taken them seven years to get this far and that was without any opposition from the gunmaker. Al Gore could get elected (ugh!) and serve two terms before this goes anywhere further than it is now.
As far as the U.N., don't we still owe them a billion dollars or so? They could care less.

Back