GP100man

It rained bullets at my house !!! PIC

Got my Midway order today ! it included a Lee 6 cavity 158gr. rnfp mold , I

got it cleaned up & preheated & started , well the first few pours finished

gettin all the machining oil out , but then it started happenin !!!!! 6 at the

time :eek: Before I knew it the pot was low so I placed it back on the

warmer& refilled with sprues & a couple of ingots , fluxed again & went back

to it , adjusted the heat where I could go with it & in an hour or so I had 25

lbs. of rnfp bullets!!! That`s a tad over 1,000 bullets !!

I`ve cast with 2 holers my whole casting career that started in `84, I`ve had reservations about the Lee 6 bangers & held back for yrs.

But no longer !!!!

PS : pics later ,I Tard :cool:

Last edited:
I cast about 500 yesterday with a Lee two holer, took me about three hours,
had to fill the 10 pound pot three times---re-adding the spure and extra ingots:)

I love casting. I wish I had more lead. I get it in about 20 pound wheel weight batches and I cast it up the day I get it. :)

Steve

I got over 50 pounds of lead back out of our pistol target day before yesterday..... we have a 1/4 steel plate behind our pistol target backboard...and we reuse all our lead... its nice to get the free lead back.:D

I get my lead recyled from the range for about $1/pound. That brings the cost to about $0.025/bullet. I only have dreams of getting it for free, but $0.025/bullet is still much better than the high cost of precast bullets out there.
I recently bought two Lee 6cav molds, one for 40S&W and one for 45ACP, I fell in love with them shortly after the first time using them. I stll plan on using the 2cav molds for 44mag and 41mag because I don't shoot them much, but I will be looking for new 6cavs in 38Spl and 9mm as soon as I figure out wich bullet type I want in the thousads.

102_0519.jpg

Back in my wad cutter days I cast with 2 Saeco 4 holers at a time. When you get the rythum you can really sling ‘em out quick...... Imagine what you could do with 2 six holers........

Lee 6 banger

ICH if ya look close ya can see the casting line on the nose of the bullet in the mic !

.359 was the smallest I could find measuring any bullet either way , to put it simply there round to .0005 !!!

As I look at the 6banger Lee really steps up the quality & design on em ,with the steel locators & the ultra smooth sprue plate, although the sprue cutter handle could use a little more enginnering but it suffices especially if ya preheat & start with pouring 2 at the time & bring it up to true casting temp!

KAL has the FIX for the sprue handle over on CastBoolits !!!

Although ,if I had my rathers I`d like it a true plain based bullet, I`ll get the time & nerve 1 day to cut the litle bevel out , MAYBE !!!

Wonder why my camera won`t hold the date ????

Back off a little on the sprue plate screw. Let it swing fairly free. The lead will float the plate up a bit and the cut will be closer to flush.............Of course it may not work on a 6 holer, but it works on 2 and 4 holers.

Pour the bullet closest to the sprue plate screw first to keep them even.

Oh yeah, roger on the bevel base, they can be a PIA when sizing and lubing.

Last edited:
You know, you could send some of that weather my way. I'd love to have it raining bullets at my house too. It'd have to rain in both .38 caliber and .45 caliber to be a terrific day but I'd settle for one or the other.
I'm fixin' to buy one of those 6-cavity molds for my .45 and one for the wife's .38 in a week or so. What size melting pot do you use for your 6-cavity mold? I'm thinking if I get the 6-cav I might have to go along with it by getting a 20-pound melting pot to go along with it.

20#er min. for the 6banger & it`ll still go fast !!

Lee recommends Hooking all the sprues together & that does work the best but makes a pile of sprues !!!

They also recommend puttin the sprue back in the pot but I`ve never liked doing that , it distracts me from the task at hand.

I find it is easier if the sprues connect, even with a 2-banger. The bigger chunk of lead doesn't fly as far as individual sprues. :)

I keep a cookie tin under my 20 pound pot to collect drips, and I knock the sprues right off into the same tin while I go, and drop the bullets into a bucket of water under my legs while I'm sitting at the bench (legs help shield any splashing, which is minimal anyway).

When my mold starts getting too hot, I take a break and collect up all the sprues and drippings and carefully spoon them back in the pot.

Steve

Hey maillemaker , when I water drop I bungee a towel over the bucket with a hole in it then push the towel into the water bout 2-3" , this way ya don`t get the deep splash coming up at ya , the hole lets drop on down into the bucket .

Back