Israeli Oralite Mags in Bushmaster

Glock Raider

OK this has probably been covered before,my bushmaster will not take the Oralite mags. My Question is what do you need to do to fix this.??

Orlites are all I use with my BFI Shortys. I had a couple of retention glitches with some of the worse-for-wear Orlites and a few other off-brand mags when I first got the guns. The problem was an off-spec mag catch release part, called the foot. It is the part that actually engages the notches in the mags.

However, I replaced all the magazine catches on all my AR-type rifles with the Norgon Ambi-Catch. I've never had a problem with any magazine since. I'm sold that it is the better mouse-trap.

Trouble-shooting:

1) IF you suspect the problem is a loose "foot" of the mag catch assembly, use a pencil with eraser and press the mag release button in all the way. Screw the opposite side into the button (while holding the button in) as far as practical. Then try the problem mag. It should now work.

2) If the problem is an out-of-spec assembly: Remove the mag catch "foot" by unscrewing from the button and remove it. Then remove the button and spring (carefull, the depressed button is still under spring tension, so ease it out). The foot should be perfectly perpendicular to the shaft. If it isn't (usually opened and the foot portion won't engage mag notch) then replace it. Fortunately it's an inexpensive part. Verify the new part is true BEFORE purchase, as you don't want to throw money at someone elses problem.

3) If all else fails, buy an Ambi-Catch or use different mags.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited September 01, 1999).]

Even though I do not have any orlite mags, as I understand it, there is a number on the mags. If the number is above 20, they will fit, below and they will not. Check over at http://www.ar15.com. Below 20 needs a little dremel work.

take a file to the rib's and file off the front and rear on an angle starting from the f&r edge's first. i took mag's 1 at a time and inserted into riflr while holding the lower upside dowm there you can see where it is hitting the well. DO NOT REMOVE the complete rib as this act's as a stop to prevent mag from being jammed into rec.

Back