Isn't that CZ poly finish softer than the teflon on the frying pans?

Bilbo

Inactive
I've got my CZ 75D Compact (1998 production; PCR if you prefer - it has front slide serrations and illuminated sights) nearly a month ago.

It's a perfect gun in all ways - it shoots great, it looks great and it feels great. I love it!

BUT! There is something I just don't understand (well, I'm new to the world of guns, so I could be wrong). Its finish, called "black polymer", seems to me VERY far away from being durable. I think the teflon paint on my frying pans is at least a bit harder than this so called polymer.:mad: And I am quite sure I will not requre such a durability from my pans that I will require from my firearm.

I've own the pistol for less than a month and it already has nearly a dozen of scratches (well, they are small, but they are scratches anyway, you may not notice them, but I DO :(). So how will it look after a year? After 5 years? And I have cared for it much. I don't want to think what will happen if I haven't. But that's a gun, not a chinese vase, so I think it SHOULD be made durable and that means the finish as well. After all you can't keep your gun under a glass cover and never even touch it, so you wouldn't make a scratch on it accidentally.

On the other hand I respect Ceska Zbrojovka very much and that makes me think that I am wrong in some or other way. I just don't believe that CZ engineers are that stupid to make the gun worse than these h*##$sh frying pans.

So, I'll be happy to hear you opinion guys.

What do you think of the poly finish?

What is your experience?

How do you maintain it?

And whatever else you might like to say...

Thanks!
And don't laught at me much... ;)

Bilbo

Bilbo, Something is wrong with your piece. I have the exact same gun and I have NO scratches on the finish. I even took some nasty falls on Mountain bike with the gun in my back pack. I think you need to contact CZ. I have SIGS that scractched the way you descibe but my CZ is perfect except for the standard blued parts which I will reblue in about a month(slide stop, decocker, and lanyard loop) Have you done anything particularly nasty to the piece to cause the finish to scratch?
I cleam my CZ with BreakFree and then lube with Militec1.
I wipe down the outside with a silicon gun and reel cloth once a week.
Where are these little scratches?

Ditto, "something is wrong with your gun..."

I had a CZ-75B with polymer finish for about 6 months, before trading up to a CZ-85 Combat (nickel).

The finish was far more durable than I expected. The only mark on mine, after a bit of rough handling, was a small chip near the rear sight where I used a punch to drift the sight. It was my error and not the finish.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gun with their polymer finish.
I do like the Nickel, though.

Well I hope it is your gun (no offense) and not CZ in general because I just bought a CZ less than a week ago.

I do recall that when I bought mine (CZ 75B) that they had both the black polymer finish and the glossy blue finish, and me being a novice, I asked the guy which finish would be more durable. He overwhelmingly recommended the black polymer finish and said the glossy blue would scratch much more easily.

Cheers

While the Poly finish is powder coating over parkerizing and not as hard as teflon it`s still very durable. The poly finish on mine is holding up very well. Think of it this way powder coating is used on things like patio furniture, garden tools etc. so it has to be durable. Would you buy blued patio furniture? ;) LOL! Of course parkerizing is used on military firearms worldwide. CZs with poly finish have both so it should be VERY durable ,*unless* there`s something wrong with it. Marcus

Well, its been the most durable "blue" I have had so far on MY guns. Compared to Sigs finish or Kimber crap matte oxide, I'd say its pretty durable. Now, is the finish chipping, or wearing down from handling/holster use ? These scratches might really be just chalk like marks from rubbing against something. You might want to try rubbing it with a silicone cloth and some cheap gun oil first. If that doesn't do anything, I would forego sending it back to the factory, and just have the gun hardchromed.

A hardchromed CZ would look much nicer than the poly finish you have anyways..

Hard chroming would be a pain in the butt - you would have to remove all the polymer finish first. I am always leery of polymer finishes. You can have a gun reblued if you need to. Stainless can be polished or buffed, but redoing a polymer finish might be hard.

I have a CZ-75B in Polymer black. After about 1200 rounds
(in 150rd at a time batches and cleaning after each) the only wear I see is in the obvious places, such as slide rails and hammer face. I _do_ have two external scratches, one being on the slide release (from bashing it out with the mag base) and one next to the slide release (from missing the slide release and bashing the side of the gun, :( ).

My only complaint is the you need to hit the release hard enough to scratch it. I would suspect you are either doing something really mean to your gun (you may not even know it) or they screwed up and you have lemon when it comes to the finish.

Loch.

There are at least two polymer finishes

Bilbo,

There are two different polymer finishes used by CZ. One was used around 1994 to 1996 and the other after that time. The first version was very poor quality and would chip in the area around the slide rails. The latest version is a patented Swiss process that's more durable. It's not just rumor either. Peter Kokalis confirms this in a recent SOF article on the CZ75 models.

You also have to keep in mind that pistols acquire all sorts of little scratches no matter how careful you are. Even if you wear white gloves and put them on feathers, scratches will happen. Don't worry about them. As long as your CZ is kept clean and well lubed it'll give you reliable service, and that's what counts.

Thank you for your replies, guys! I appreciate very much your empathy.

I've tried these days to take a picture of my pistol to show it to you, but I couldn't. Anyway, I feel now much relieved, especially thanks to Tecolote. To be honest, I'm quite a perfectionist and since this is my first contact with the guns I feel very crazy about each tiny scratch, that you will probably not even notice.
So, your reply, Tecolote, made me feel much better, because (like you have read my thoughts) 1) I had a suspicion that the problem was with the 1998 year of manufacture and 2) I was not sure enough that it is OK for a gun to look "used".
You might think, guys, that I am too crazy, but I'll just tell you two things. First, Bulgarian law is very restrictive and I had to wait 9 (Nine) months and acquire a dozen of documents to be able at last to get the pistol. And second, it is extremely hard to get another gun. I think you can understand me better now.

Thanks very much again to all of you!

Bilbo

P.S. I saw these days a picture of the PCR and if I am correct that's it

pcr.jpg

However, my pistol looks different. As I said I coudn't take a photo, so I'll use a picture from CZ site

CZ75DC-v.JPG

Imagine front slide serrations and a sliced fore of the frame ahead of the trigger guard like on this one

cz75co-bd-v.jpg

and you'll have an idea how it looks.

I believe the difference is because of different years of manufacture.

Ah

You have the version produce right before the PCR. The PCR was changed slightly from the gun you have meet certain requirements of the Czech Police. I believe they shorterned the slide a small amount and I know they removed the the step in the slide and made the slide rails full lenghth.
You have a rare piece there.
Get a silicone cloth and wipe it down. Its ok for a gun to look a little used it adds character.

scratches

If you're like me and the rest of the 'gun' people, a scratch is terrible. I try to keep my guns as clean and as scratch free as possible, just like my car. There's nothing wrong with perfection (pun intended).

Don't feel bad for taking care of your gun(s).

Back